Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Dimir, Azorius, and Orzhov walk into a bar

The bartender looks up and says, "What is this, some kind of joke?" ... ... Nothing? Eeesh, tough crowd. You've been great; remember to tip your waitress.

Met up with Pete to sell my stack of old cards (Unlimited Underground Sea was probably the only real gem. Missing a lot of my Antiquities and Arabian Nights which might be lost at sea forever) and then deckbuild with beer. Knowing my predilection for white/blue control, we starting throwing Pete's pile of uncommons around looking for fun cards. As a starting place, we were looking to build a Standard version of my sealed deck, built around Cipher with some evasion creatures. Then the Orzhov entered the party and everything quickly went haywire. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a control deck if I have 8 one-drops.

One Drop

Shadow Alley Denizen Thrull Parasite

Two Drop

Tithe Drinker Syndic of Tithes

Basilica Screecher Blind Obedience

Azorius Arrester Hidden Strings

Hands of Binding

Or More

Far // Away

Land was a proxied spread of 12 shock and 11 dual lands.

How did it play? It only really tested against Pete's Double Strike Emissary which is aggro heavy and it bat .500, incredibly enough. It has some really fun synergies with gaining juuuust enough life and being juuuuuust fast enough to slow down the aggro (Stromkirk Noble is unaccustomed to being handled so rudely). The cheap cipher play gives the extort some legs and tapping/untapping and paralyzing allows my deck (which needs a catchy name, come to think of it) to be on the front foot. Hidden Strings in particular was effective, either allowing for additional spells to be cast (untapping my lands) or tapping any defenders on the attack.

As it stands right now, I think it's totally defenseless against control of any kind. I also feel that card drawing of any kind would be a delight with such a cheap curve. But I have a starting point now and we'll see where it evolves.

Thought of a name: Death & Taxes.

-Jed

No comments:

Post a Comment