Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Gold is where you find it

I have now retrieved my boxes of magical cards from my parent's attic. Also apparently my netrunner cards and Dune (?!) cards have been recovered. Those are less fun to talk about though. No, this will be a brief record of exploring stacks of really old, mostly really shitty cards. Wait, that doesn't sound like much fun either. I'll skip the boring stuff and share the nuggets (being defined as worth more than $5) and/or occasional irrational fond memory/half baked deck.

Because somewhere out there is a merfolk deck with a full set of Lords of Atlantis and Sunken City. LIVE THE DREAM PEOPLE.

RKF


Dakkon Blackblade

Oh man, Richard Kane Ferguson. I thought your art was THE SHIT back in the day. So much badassness in a package the size of four postage stamps. Did I have a D&D character named Dakkon Blackblade? *Obviously*. How has his style aged? Well a lot better than, say, anything else from that era. Though I have to admit I've wandered from the fold and more into the arms of Donato, Nielsen, and Rebecca Guay since then. I also have absolutely zero idea who the modern Magic artists are as a lot of the individual personality of the cards have been bled out. It was cool picking out the Hoover, Tucker, Franzier etc. Modern magic art is undoubtedly better now but there just seems to be a lot less soul. Music was better back in the mid 90s too. Moving on.

Nugget #1!


HOT DOG WE HAVE A WIENER. Our first card that might actually cut into my down-payments on shock-lands. Not sure how often Ms. Dickinson was quoted on magic cards, but she sure picked a winner with this one.

Karakas

I must admit I was a little surprised to see this card hovering around $100. But like Pete taught me, land can't be counterspelled. Plus it works on friendly legends, whisking them to safety, as well as annoying your opponent. Best of all, it provides no-gimmick mana from the word go. It's like a plains only better in every way. My copy is a little worn, but not too bad. Enjoy your revery bees and flowers; you all did find work here.

Next entry: the shallow layers from random weekend sealed deck/drafts with friends. Kamigawa and Mirrodin blocks. This is going to be grim.

No comments:

Post a Comment