Saturday, May 25, 2013

Live Blog - Game Day Standard Tourney

Card Kingdom is running a standard tournament today for game day. It is free! Woot! You get a card for playing and a card for making top 8. We had 32 people show up so it is 5 rounds of suisse with a cut to top 8. Let's Go! (I'm playing my aggro deck btw)

Trostani's Summoner

Not this version, but google didn't immediately return a good scan of the new card.


ROUND 1: I loose the die roll. And draw no lands. My hand isn't that good, only one land. But playtesting has shown I'm best off keeping and hoping to draw out of it then go to 5. Fortunately I get the land I need and we are off to the races. He is also playing aggro,  but with black instead of white. Everything is going per usual and on turn 3 he drops a Vampire Nighthawk.

Vampire Nighthawk

This is the best guy against me. I need to find a searing spear to kill him. I don't. I loose the race.

Game two was sweet. I'm on the play and don't need to mull. I drop a turn 1 Stromkirk. He proceeds to play one creature every turn for the next four turns and I kill it with searing spear (or the oblivion rings I brought in from the board). I kill him without taking a point of damage (if you don't count the shocklands).

Game three was shitty. I drew 7 lands and 4 spells, but the initial hand was a sure keep. He dropped a turn 1 noble and I never saw an answer for it, so it got out of control and killed me. At one point he was down to 11 (mostly off of his own shock lands). I had a window to kill him if I got a Ghor-Clan Rampager, but I never saw one. Balls. Given that it is five rounds I think I need to 4-0 the rest of this bad boy to make top 8. Ugg. L 1-2 (0-1)

ROUND 2: Well I suck at magic. I was up against a reanimator deck and it dropped a Griselbrand on me turn 4 (a little help from faithless looting).  And the fact that I greedy kept a 1 lander. We're talking, Stomping Ground, Noble, Rancor, Burning-Tree, Lightning Mauler, Flinthoof Boar, Boros Charm. I was on the draw. Anyways I didn't hit a land and I lost. Game two was even uglier. I again had a one lander and kept. Because I thought I had two lands in my hand. Let's talk about being on tilt, shall we. Who misreads cards like that. Anyways it took him about 20 turns to kill me, and eventually I got to 3 lands. But he had the board on lock down and I never had a change. L 0-2 (0-2) 

So I suck at magic hard. Just being a fool and getting greedy. I was going to drop but the judge says two players on 3-2 will make top 8. So We'll see what happens. I will need some serious breakers which I probably won't get from going 0-2. I imagine someone with go 3-0 then loss, loss, and make the top 8 but we'll see. If nothing else this will be a chance to practice coming off tilt.

ROUND 3: Finally I win. Played against a dude who just started playing two weeks ago. He was rocking a golgari deck but without the shocklands or creature removal. I rolled it up. He was dropping creatures 1st main for no effect then attacking, etc. W 2-0 (1-2)

ROUND 4: My opponent just dropped. Back to .500. Woot*! W (2-2)

ROUND 5: Started off on the play. No mulligans (finally). My opponent drops a Nivmagus Elemental. I drop a Stromkirk Noble.

Nivmagus Elemental vs Stromkirk Noble

I'm feeling ok about this. Then he blows up my Noble with an Izzet Charm. And gets in (17-20), I had shocked myself. Next turn I drop a Burning-Tree and a Cackler and pass. He swings with his Elemental, and I don't block. He then drops two Weapon Surges and exiles them. Going all in pretty early this game. His elemental smashes me for 5 (12-20), he drops a Blister Coil weird.. My turn I bash for 4 (12-16). And drop a land. He swings back on his turn (7-16). This race isn't looking good for me. I drop a Ghor-Clan Rampager and pass. He then also passes. Hmmmmm. I draw another Ghor-Clan and bash. He blocks with his big Elemental and I bloodrush. He has no answer and it dies, along with his chances of winning the game.

Game two was pretty spicy. I've got BT->BT->Boar, assuming I can survive to turn 2. I make it and drop all three. My opponent groans. He's got a dude out and chumps on turn 3. Then he blows up one of my dudes with Mizzium Mortars and passes. I've got two Ghor-Clan Rampagers in my hand and it is time to rock. I swing in and pump. It sticks. I figure it's time to press the advantage and do the same next turn. He goes to 2 and I'm at 15. Finally the next turn he succumbs to my swing. He shows me his hand after the game. W 2-0 (3-2)

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius Ætherling

I was just a little to fast for him. Lucky for me he wasn't packing ...

Turn // Burn 

With that I improved to 9 points on the day and a tie for XXX place. However due to my early losses and my opponents not crushing it I fail to make top 8 on breakers. That being said after the abysmal play early on I didn't deserve to make top 8. For the day I went 2-2 in matches I played. Uggggg.

No comments:

Post a Comment