Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Standard Aggro

So I have been playing around with a bunch of ideas over the past week. Trying to figure out where to go with aggro in the current standard. Pro Tour DGM was little help because nobody and I mean nobody is running wrath in standard. It is all aggro or reanimator. The people who do attempt control have gotten tricksy and rely on sacrifice effects instead of destruction. A la these bad boys (and girl)

Liliana of the Veil Barter in Blood

And some just skip it all together and go for the jugular.

Mutilate

With that being the case, where am I to turn? Sometimes my double strike deck can just get in fast enough. But sometimes not. Sometimes the best thing to do in standard is to eschew the synergies and just play, expensive_shit.dec. So with that said let's take a look at where the power resides in aggro.

From a card advantage standpoint there are really three cards that are head and shoulders above the rest:

Rancor Voice of Resurgence Domri Rade

In terms of being above the curve we have:

Burning-Tree Emissary Flinthoof Boar Loxodon Smiter

This stuff really puts us in some admixture of White/Red/Green. Also it soundly eliminates a humans deck and probably something like Cavern of Souls for mana fixing. Let's take a look at the one drops.

In white we have very few options.

Boros Elite Dryad Militant Champion of the Parish

Green has a little more to work with (plus we could go with a mana dork, there are two available):

Deathrite Shaman Dryad Militant Experiment One Young Wolf

Red has got:

Stromkirk Noble Rakdos Cackler Vexing Devil

I think we want to optimize for card advantage here. But in the context of the black removal spells that narrows us down to just the Young Wolf.


The next step is to check out recent top 8s and compare notes. Then I'll get back to you with a decklist.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=55875: This dude only rocks two Rancor, that feels wrong. I think I'd cut one land and the Thundermaw to make room for the full four.. I guess it may be bacause Domri, but I would say, Rancor is card advantage. But I guess the wolfrun needs it. Regardless I'm not spending to get the cavern's and domri and vexing devils (oh my.)

link to gp guadalahara: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpgua13/welcome#9

Willy Edel domri deck

No comments:

Post a Comment