Tuesday, May 28, 2013

5th grade - my black deck

The summer of 1994 was the first time I played magic. The first game I ever saw was played during a session of "quite games" at Olympian Sports Club, the camp for champs. The match featured a green deck with Force of Nature versus a black deck with Lord of the Pit.

Force of Nature Lord of the Pit

And let me tell you, that shit was epic, EPIC. I was hooked. I forced my mom to take me to the store that night and I bought some packs. My best friend at the time did the same, and we didn't sleep for approximately 3 days. Pretty soon we realized that we needed to specialize in colors. I chose black because I manage to crack:

Dark Ritual Nightmare

I was immediately drawn to the power of the ritual. And nightmare has "unlimited" power. Plus some amazing art that holds up even today. (Melissa Benson I love you!) When school time came around that fall a few people played but it was not everywhere. Back then we played on the asphalt at the playground, no sleeves  like men. People would come over and ask what we were doing. The game spread like wildfire. Pretty soon everyone at Central Elementary was spending their hard earned allowance on magic packs.

I still have most of those cards and even though we battled with no sleeves, and shuffled like monsters they help up. Check out this gem.


Man that was sweet. Anyways my deck was doing pretty well. I had started playing earlier so I had a major edge in "strategy". You see back then everyone played nothing but creatures so I filled my deck with:

Terror Royal Assassin

I remember when we found out about the card Royal Assassin, one day a kid showed up at school and played it. We had no clue that existed. It was mind blowing. No internet (my spell checker wants to capitalize "internet", lol) back then and the company actively tried to hid the card lists from you. The rarities were anybodies best guess. You could get some info from the  duelist.


But that was money you spent not on a pack of cards. So forget that. We also had a bunch of house (or I guess school) rules. The chief among them was that you could only play one Sol Ring in your deck.

Sol Ring

Why you may ask? Because, "There is one ring to rule them all"!

No comments:

Post a Comment