Sunday, May 12, 2013

Death & Taxes 1.1

Alright, now it's time for the results of the first round of playtesting with Death & Taxes. It held its own against Pete's new control deck and his aggro deck, though I worry it's the type of deck that will juuuuust barely lose to either of the extremes without consistently killing them. Learned one big lesson: I do not need a lot of land with this deck. The initial layout of 22 was definitely too rich. Cutting two lands and adding two critters.

One Drop

4 Thrull Parasite
4 Faerie Imposter
3 Shadow Alley Denizen

Two Drop

4 Tithe Drinker
4 Basilica Screecher
3 Azorius Arrester
4 Hidden Strings
4 Hands of Binding
3 Blood Scrivener (+1)
2 Deputy of Acquittals (+1)

Four Drop

Land

What was kind of interesting was how inconsistent my deck was. Only one game did I get a cipher card out (though it was totally awesome to have Hidden Strings pay for its own extorts). I had a fun game boomeranging Faeries and Deputies, whittling down with extorts. Another one was fueled by the Blood Scrivener which poured additional spells into the hand to extort. Also, Pete's a total jerk for not letting my Duskmantle Seer stick around. Total buzzkill.

Goals
1) Get more practice with the nuts and bolts of playing the cards. It actually gets a little complicated timing spells, extorts, and ciphers.
2) Figure out what my sideboard looks like and what I would swap around. The Sin Collector looks ideal against control decks. What else do I move around?
3) How fast does the deck really need to be? The healing of extort greatly cushions the pain of shock lands but I don't have much of a cushion against aggro decks. Maybe ditch the Fountains entirely for Glacial Fortresses.

Thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. The most exciting part for me was that you couldn't kill my creatures. You're in UB so there are plenty of options on that front. Because it's new, and people love tokens I think you should rock some Far//Away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far // Away adds plenty of flexibility, but with 20 lands will not fuse both sides often.

      Perhaps that is irrelevant. I know nothing about standard, but this list screams "wrath/pyroclasm me" to me.

      Delete
    2. At the moment no one plays either. I've only had a board sweeper played against me once. It was a mutilate and it wrecked me.

      Delete
  2. Re: paying for extort with Hidden Strings

    This won't work the way I think you are implying it does. when you cast the spell (for free or not) all extort triggers go on the stack on top of the spell, so the costs need to be paid before the spell resolves.

    It is possible you meant that you have the same net mana available after extorting because the Strings uptap the lands you used to pay. If so, I apologize and carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent, you are correct. I have to have the mana already untapped but then it nets out afterwards. Though I did totally cheat with it in the sealed deck when I floated mana through the combat phase with Hidden Strikes to pay for a guild leader. I thought manaburn only resolved at the end of the turn!

    As for the creature removal question, that's a really good one. I had Far // Away in there but I removed *all* spells to allow the Scrivener and Duskmantle to work safely. Logically the deck tries to deal with it by using detain and Hands of Binding. Beyond that it just tries to gain life past the damage.

    Yeah, the board sweepers is definitely a game-over for me. This is one reason why I want to try and turn the mechanic into more of a control deck with a handful of cheap defenders, unblockables, and counterspells, far//away etc.


    -Jed

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive sort of come up with a deck similar to this that started out as looking for the best way to abuse far // away and snapcaster mage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. list is something like this:
    4 Far // Away
    2 Profit // Loss
    2 azorius charm
    2 Dimir charm

    4 geist of saint traft
    2 Sin collector
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Blood scrivener
    4 Tithe drinker
    3 Deputy of Acquittals
    4 Restoration angel
    4 Lyev skynight

    cant tell if it wants more aggro and things like Profit // Loss (Linger souls sounds ideal), or more controlly with better enter the battlefield creatures. most likely the skynights should be dropped for a 1 or 2 drop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stefan, that looks like a really fun deck. I'd love to see some playtesting results out of it. How does it hold up to blind aggro?

    ReplyDelete