Monday, September 23, 2013

Theros Prerelease: Tournament Report

Link to the deck I was playing - quick hit it was Red Black.

Round 1: I was paired up against Alex, he was 10 and has been playing for a couple of years. Game one was pretty slow to develop. He was on the front foot but I got down my God!

Erebos, God of the Dead Purphoros's Emissary

He was pouring some damage on me and I was drawing some cards so pretty soon I was getting kinda low. Eventually I was able to stabilize and my devotion turned Erebos on. I then suited him up with the +3/+3 goblin war drums bestow guy. I was low on life but feeling pretty good. I swung with my God and

Defend the Hearth

Same thing next turn. In the meantime he was getting me for a couple every turn and I was now down to 4.  I needed something to stop the bleeding. And that is when I drew and cast:

Abhorrent Overlord
He resigned, onto game 2.

Game two got off to a bad start for my opponent. He went BG/G///B/ In case you can't read my short hand I will decode for you. Those are his land drops and a "/" means no drop. Swamp, Forest, none, Forest, none, none, none and by this point he was out of the game. W 2-0 (1-0)

Round 2: My opponent was a woman named Whitney, whose.... ok limerick time later. This is match report time. In game one when went WW/W/////. I won easily. Game two was just as lopsided but the other way. She went 

Yoked Ox Ordeal of Heliod
as Brent pointed out, that is brutal.

On my turn four I was staring down a 3/7 and a 3/3 while the score was 14-30. Eesh. Nothing in my deck every had a chance to deal with that Ox (edit: ok I had a 2 drop deathtouch guy but didn't see him). I fought valiantly but was way way too behind to have a shot in that game.

Game three was shitty. Total I saw 6 spells (one was a travelers amulet) and 11 lands. That's called a flood ladies and germs. Again I tried to hand in there and managed to pop my overlord. But my opponent removaled it because the power was greater than 4

Vanquish the Foul

That was all I had. L 1-2 (1-1)

Round 3: This time I was matched up against someone grad student aged. He seemed to know what was going on and was playing Blue Green. Game one I landed an Ember Swallower:

Ember Swallower Opaline Unicorn

He was a little stumbly on mana and I also had my Unicorn online. I MONSTROUSIZED the swallower on turn 6 and he was toast. I guess I should mention that I was down to 2 life that game. He was getting some swings in but couldn't handle a 7/8 without all of his precious lands. Meanwhile I knew it was coming and planned accordingly.

Gme two was sweet. He never touched me.He went GG/UU so not a horrible start from a mana stand point. Whiffing on turn 3 is pretty bad. It let me get on the front foot and again I MONSTROUSIZED my swallower. I also got to drop a Disciple of Phenax for 5 (the number of cards he had in hand)

Disciple of Phenax Mogis's Marauder

He had a bunch of expensive dudes he wasn't able to cast post monstrousing and I sealed the deal. The game was well in hand at 22-11. But to pour it on I dropped an Overlord and produced 5 tokens, aka 11 flying damage. Game and Match. W 2-0 (2-1) I forgot to mention he was down to 9 from a devoted Mogis's Marauder and team.

Round 4: All right after that round 2 loss I really need a win here. I'd played my opponent before, I think he's like 30 something (so for those keeping score two opponents were older than me and two were younger). Right away this is strange. During his upkeep on turn three he drops a Magma Jet to my dome:

Magma Jet

Apparently just so he could scry. He then proceeds to burn out me or my creature every turn. Soon he has dropped a Purhporos

Purphoros, God of the Forge

However I have a few dudes and start swinging. He started playing his creatures and plinking me for two. However I had the removal and was able to keep him off of the devotion. Due to all the early burning my opponent was out of cards and I just kept playing dudes. Game win.

Game two was more of the same but now my opponent was on the play and got on the front foot. He even managed a swing in with the God. That was brutal. However his attacks were poor and he exposed his devotees to my blockers. I was able to trade our boards and his good returned to the forge. Again he played out a bunch of burn early on my dome and as such was now out of cards and I had a full grip. I just kept dropping dudes and the match was mine. W 2-0 (3-1)


Wrapup: Another tournament at Card Kingdom, another 3-1 for me. I just can't seem to crack that 4-0 in sealed. I think I build my deck well, I'm sure we'll find some mistakes once we learn the format. But I don't feel it was a disaster. The round I lost was pretty rough but that's magic. Overall only a handful of games were competitive. I never mulliganned. My opponents mulled twice and I lost one of those games.



No comments:

Post a Comment