Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Theros Prerelease: Story Time

This weekend I played a Prerelease for Theros and it was awesome. There were a few interesting stories and I decided to share them here.

story from deckbuilding: So this dude wanted to splash elspeth and asked for my advice. I was like "dude she's double white, You can't splash that". Then i whipped out the nexus and looked up the numbers from LR. For those to lazy to click through:

Turn 6 (13 cards)
How often will you draw at least 1 sources + 1 splash  card (success), or no source + splash card (failure)

Splash 1 card
13 cards,  2 sources 17% success, 15% failure,
13 cards, 3 sources 22% success, 10% failure
13 cards, 4 sources 26% chance, 7% failure
Splash 2 cards
13 cards, 2 sources, 29% success, 26% failure
13 cards, 3 sources, 37% success, 18% failure
13 cards, 4 sources, 43% success, 12% failure
13 cards, 5 sources, 47% success, 8% failure
Splash CC card
13 cards, 2 sources, 3% success, 30% failure
13 cards, 3 sources, 7% success, 25% failure
13 cards, 4 sources, 11% success, 21% failure
13 cards, 5 sources, 15% success, 16% failure
13 cards, 6 sources,19% success, 13% failure

Those are some grim numbers on the CC splash. I felt bad crushing that guys dream of splashing Elspeth but I just had to say something. At a PTQ I would smugly acknowledge my superiority, but at a prerelease it is about having fun. And him staring at his uncastabe Elspeth ain't fun.

story the 10 year old and the fogs: So I'm playing against a 10 year old in round 1. It wasn't close, I crushed him in 2. However he did play fog against me quite effectively. Quite often actually. So much so that I had to ask how many he was playing. He said two. We took a look through his deck and there were 4 fogs in there, all the same one:

Defend the Hearth vs. Read the Bones
some times you feel like a nut          ...                   some times you don't.

I also took a look through his sideboard. AND HE HAD TWO READ THE BONES IN THERE. He was playing black and figured the 3rd and 4th fog were better than read the bones 1 and 2. I could not keep quite. He had invited me to comment. So I said in the most timmy way possible, "What?!!?!?! you're not playing read the bones!!!?!?! That card is so awesome! Dude that rules you gotta rock them."

story frustrated loser: so Stefan just finished pounding his round 4 opponent into the ground. His opponent was clearly upset and the source of that rage was expressed in the following comment, "that's why sealed is dumb. It's all about getting the cards. There is no skill involved."  Now I've been frustrated playing sealed before, I admit it can be excruciating when you opponent drops Polukranos after Polukranos on your face. That blows. But no skill. 


He was pissed and I didn't want to start a fight because he would crush me. But I couldn't say nothing. So I just said, " well you do get to pick the cards you play. I played this kid earlier who played 4 fogs."

6 comments:

  1. I actually think fog can be decent if you have enough multiples to make it your game plan. In typical limited, I wouldn't run one or two, but with four in a terrible pool, at least it is a plan. You could craft a race situation that you know you will win and the cheap cost doesn't preclude you from developing your board.

    I'm reminded of a two-headed giant deck that Jonathan and I almost piloted where one head would have had 3 Fog and 3 Safe Passage. Unfortunately, under 2HG rules at the time, Safe Passage would only prevent damage to creatures controlled by its caster and never prevent any damage to our faces. I think we scrapped that plan and went with the 3x Trumpet Blast support deck instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fog can be a thing, I don't disagree. I'm just sayin that a 10 year old is probably not rocking that plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one EVER sees the second fog coming.

    (Shaheen Soorani saw the second fog coming, but he couldn't stop us from drawing the game with Goblin Artillery)

    Fun fact: Orcish Artillery was in every core set until M10, where functional reprint Goblin Artillery was printed, then never heard from again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That guy was certainly angry at losing, but he was almost just as angry for not getting "money" cards. He seemed to care less that I crushed him with a turn four Polukrankos than that it was a foiled mythic. Just seems like a weird attitude to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That guy was certainly angry at losing, but he was almost just as angry for not getting "money" cards. He seemed to care less that I crushed him with a turn four Polukrankos than that it was a foiled mythic. Just seems like a weird attitude to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. also, I talked to the guy who did end up splashing elspeth after the tournament. he said it won every game he cast it (obviously), but didnt recall when he couldnt cast it (biasing!!)

    ReplyDelete