Saturday, September 7, 2013

FNM: M14 Draft

Into the somewhat claustrophobic closet that was Greenlake Games (super nice people though). I tried to scribble draft notes on my first few packs and then once kinda committed, record any agonizing choices. I was basically playing with no wider sense of the metagame.

1st pack: Actually somewhat interesting!

Vampire Warlord Chandra's Outrage Giant Growth Water Servant Voracious Wurm

Being the uncreative soul that I am, I roll with the Chandra's outrage

2nd pack: a lot of suck.

Fiendslayer Paladin Undead Minotaur

Not a huge fan of the fiendslayer, or rocking doublecasts so early, but I go with it. It applies a little more pressure, though upon reflection 2/2 first strike < 2/3 vanilla.

Couple packs go by and I grab some heavy hitters 4-5 cost. Now this:

Guardian of the Ages Master of Diversion Bubbling Cauldron Kalonian Tusker

The Guardian is cute, but it strikes me as a 'win more' card. Either you control the ground already or you're getting pummeled with fliers/intimidates. The Master of Diversion is saucy, neutralizing their best creature. The Tusker represents the fact that I've seen a LOT of green go by. I pick the Master of Diversion (green stayed entirely empty at our table and Marie drafted a mono-green deck that somehow failed to kill us all)

Two passes later:

Master of Diversion Shock

I picked the master of diversion. I still feel good about that but it was a tough call

After that my notes are either illegible or super straightforward single picks.

Deck
2 Drop: Capashen Knight, Angelic Wall, Goblin Shortcutter, Dragon Hatchling
3 Drop: Master of Diversion (x3), Fiendslayer Paladin
4 Drop: Pillarfield Ox, Charging Griffin
5 Drop: Serra Angel, Pitchburn Devils x2,
6 Drop: Stonehorn Chanter, Cyclops Tyrant x2
Spells: Celestial Flare x3, Show of Valor, Volcanic Geyser, Chandra's Outrage

"Sideboard": Auramancer, Soulmender, Congregate, Siege Mastodon, Fleshpulper Giant, Dawnstrike Paladin, Seismic Stomp, Lava Axe.

Check out that curve! Four 2-drops and six 5+ drops! I rocked 18 lands, 9 & 9. Upon some reflection I probably should have gone 10 plains because I have early needs for double-white (Paladin, Flares) whereas my double red is not *as* urgent.

3 comments:

  1. it seems the deck is awkwardly split between aggro and control. to this end i really dont like the pick of master of diversion over shock, or even over guardian of the ageless. those two premier defensive spells, plus maybe the mastadon and dawnstrike paladin main would have given you a much nicer controlling deck that could then win through the air or with intimidate. angelic wall, pillarfield ox, goblin short cutter and the masters are just two sets of cards you really dont want in the same deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point. My card choices were pretty much 100% "Best card available" with very little thought to the overall theme.

      Being able to think about this while choosing cards is definitely my next evolutionary step in drafting.

      Delete
  2. m14 is also /VERY/ slow, so unless you get a nut aggro deck, many otherwise reasonable two-drops are not necessary or even good.

    ReplyDelete