Sunday, September 22, 2013

Theros Prerelease: Deck Report

Well the Theros prerelease has come and gone. I chose to follow the "path of ambition" aka black. My reasoning was the following. I want to play Read the Bones, that card is sweet!

Read the Bones

What a beauty. Sadly I did not get any in my pool (sad trombone). And the gods were even more cruel. I saw people play this card all over the place, and they did it wrong. I saw a guy draw the cards and take two. I saw a guy just draw two. And worst of all I saw a guy Scry 2 and do nothing else. Ugg.


Anyways I cracked open my packs and piled the cards up. We had 50 minutes for deckbuilding so I wrote down my 5 boosters for later reference. If you weren't aware at the prerelease you get 5 boosters of Theros and one color pack. Right away black was coming for me and I had three bombs.

Abhorrent Overlord (Theros Prerelease Promo Foil) Erebos, God of the Dead Agent of the Fates

There were a couple removal spells and some other black goodies. I had a nice little devotion theme going on with the Mogis's Marauder (better than I thought he would be), and Disciple of Phenax. It was interesting, I actively went searching for 2 and 3 drops with BB in the cost. That was fun. I looked at my curve and there was a hole at 2/3 and 5/6. I was also light on removal -- which is apparently normal for this set. The other thing going on was my 2x Returned Phalanx:

Returned Phalanx

I'm intrigued by this guy. Obviously I run every one I can get my hands on in a blue black deck. So that was pulling me to blue. I also had a travelers amulet to facilitate a splash. So I started by looking through my blue and the power just wasn't there. Same goes for green and white. Red was pretty good with the highlight being

Lightning Strike Ember Swallower

There were a couple other burn spells and a couple Deathbellow Raiders. It seemed ok. So that's what I sleeved up. Oh I had an Opaline Unicorn as well. I'm a fan so far. People played cluestones and this guys crushes a cluestone. Given that I looked at the mana base and decided that I wanted to make the blue work for the activation on the Phalanx. I added one island and the traveler's amulet. I had three ways to get blue, a little less than I want but it's only for the activation on the guys so I figured it was enough.

I decided to play 18 land (a 7 drop and consistency, plus no good card to go in the 23rd slot), but since I had the amulet that became 17. The island took up a slot so I was left with 16 slots. I've got a double red and lots of black in there. The 8/8 split felt light on black so I went 9 black 7 mountain.

Here's the final list. Match reports to come.


Creatures (15)
1 drop -
2 drop - 2x Deathbellow Raider, 2x Returned Phalanx, Baleful Eidolon
3 drop - Mogis's Marauder, Angent of the Fates Opaline Unicorn
4 drop - Erebos, God of the Dead, Ember Swallower, Purphoros's Emissary, Cavern Lampad, Insatiable Harpy, Disciple of Phenax
5 drop -
6 drop -
7 drop - Abhorrent Overlord

Removal ( 5) - Lightning Strike, Pharika's Cure, 2x Rage of Purphoros, Sip of Hemlock
Auras (1) - Scourgemark
Tricks (1) - Coordinated Assault
Fixing (1) - Travler's Amulet
Land (17) - 9 swamp, 7 mountain, 1 island

Late Cuts: Dragon Mantle, Spark Jolt, Ordeal of Erebos, Disciple of Phenax, Guardians of Meletis
Other Spice in the pool: Temple of Mystery, Horizon Chimera

No comments:

Post a Comment