Monday, September 2, 2013

M14 Draft at CK: Draft and Deck Building

Stefan and I drafted at CK today. It was a pretty wierd pod for me. As I skimmed through my first pack I thought I was going to take the Claustrophobia, but then I got to the Doom Blade and was like, "yep doom blade time." but this was the rare,

This bad boy is listed at ~ 7 shocklands

So yeah I rare drafted. Then some blue started coming. Not the best stuff, no opportunity. But a messenger drake and a seakite. But I was wary. I passed a couple premium black removals and then said well I best move in on that. Got a Nightmare, Liturgy of Blood, and a couple other sweet black pieces. Oh and finished off the pack with a 13th pick claustrophobia. Yeah that was super stupid.

To start pack two I was feeling Blue Black. But the I opened


And white was kinda open. Last pack there was a super late pacifism but clearly I was drafting with fools. anyways some white stuff did come, a pick 4 Serra angel wasn't bad. I kept getting more stuff and was solidly in White Blue and maybe a black splash, but probably not.

Pack three was more of the same and I finished with the following list.


Deck:
2 Drop: 2x Angelic Wall, Seacoast Drake
3 Drop: Banisher Priest, Master of Diversion, Auramancer, Phantom Warrior, Scroll Thief
4 Drop: 3x Nephalia Seakite
5 Drop: 2x messenger drake, Serra Angel, Air Servant, Dawnstrike Paladin, Archangel of Thune
Spells: Sensory Deprivation, Time Ebb, 3x Claustrophobia, Cancel
17 lands: Mutavault, 9 Islands, 7 Plains  (I think I should have played 18 lands, or maybe not the Mutavault)


Late cuts that sometimes got sided in: Negate, Frost Breath, Siege Mastodon, Master of Diversion, Capashen knight. (Soulmender, he didn't ever get sided in but I was tempted because of the interaction with the archangel).

Based on the strength of Blue in this format I figure a few people were fighting over it. I feel like to have this deck be consistent it really needed some Diviniation/Opportunity action. But it's what I had.

Match Update to come

No comments:

Post a Comment