Monday, September 16, 2013

M14 Draft-astrophe - Draft and Deck

We went to green lake games a little while ago for an FNM draft. They start the draft at 19:00 but it is run super casually so we didn't finish til about 23:00. The numbers never work so I was seated at a draft table of 7. And the tournament played cross pods. There were 22 players.

Basically signals were all over the place. I first picked an Ogre Battledriver and second picked a Volcanic Geyser. So I felt like I should go red. Sadly the guy to my left also picked up a couple good red pieces in the first two packs (they were coming in stacked). Then the next few picks were dry in red. So I figured it wasn't open, I did get a couple Banisher Priests and a Charging Griffin, so I figured white may be available. I saw absolutely no blue.

Onto pack 2 and I have no plan. The guy to my left has clearly established himself in Red and Green. Blue just was not coming so I felt like I would have to go black white. Some black pieces started to come, Liturgy of Blood, Sengir Vampire. I was feeling ok. But really hurting for creatures.

Pack 3 the red started coming again. Pitchburn devils, a couple Act of Treasons (to go with my singleton Blood Bairn, sad trombone).  But I didn't get the creatures I needed. Discussing the events after the fact and it really appeared that the pod was just low on creatures. This would be ok if we didn't play cross pods, we'd all be in the same boat. Alas we didn't.

Oh and I wound up with two Howl of the Night Pack because no one was taking them, not sure what was going on. It was messed up. Probably in no small part to bad decisions I made.

Here's the list I wound up with:


Lands (18)
9 swamp
9 mountain

Curve (12)
2 drop - corpse hauler, boglin shortcutter
3 drop - blood bairn, fireshrieker
4 drop - deathgaze cockatrice, accursed spirit, marauding maulhorn, blightcaster, Ogre Battledriver
5 drop - nightwing shade, pitchburn devils, sengir vampire

Removal (5)
Liturgy of Blood, 2x Quag Sickness, 2x Volcanic Geyser

Tricks (3)
2x Wring Flesh, Thunder Strike

Spells (2)
2x Act of Treason


Late cuts: bwa aha ha hah aha, I played 18 lands because I couldn't find a 23rd card.

Match report to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment