Friday, September 20, 2013

Standard Deck Tech: Heroic Sucks? Right?

The new set is spoiled so Stefan and I brewed up some stuff and battled. I started with the general idea of going either RG with Domri and Rampager or WG with Voice of Resurgence and Ajani. However I just wasn't satisfied. I think it came from the (apparently) massive drop in power.

I decided to look into WR with Boros Reckoner and Ajani. I also was influenced by what Brent posted recently about curving out in draft. Then I saw this potential magical christmas land curve:

Favored Hoplite Madcap Skills Ajani, Caller of the Pride
That's 5 on turn 2 and 10 on turn 3. Ladies and Germs.

Ok, ok, maybe there is something here. Wizards tends to push their new stuff after all and Heroic is a marquee feature of the set. But then my brain kicked in "Heroic is awful". "Who targets their own creatures? "

Fortunately for this deck I read an article recently on playtesting and decided to give it a whirl.  Looking at the rest of the pieces we are clearly in a blitz situation. I by no means have the proper list but here's what I went with.

2x legion loyalist
4x favored hoplite
4x akroan crusader

4x Ash Zealot
4x Akroan Hoplite

4x Viashino Firstblade
4x Minotaur Skullcleaver

4x MadcapSkillz
4x Boros Charm
4x Ajani


2x Titan's Strength

20 lands (oops I thought it was 22)

Other new cards in the list:

Akroan Hoplite Minotaur Skullcleaver Titan’s Strength

What can I say, I'm a sucker for double strike and pump.


Here goes!



Bam! lookit all that winning. Stefan was playing some new stuff too. The left column is against UG ramp, the right is WB Gift
Gift of Immortality


For some of the games I was living the dream and it was pretty brutal. The mulling was rough but I think the lands still have room to be optimized. Overall I think this deck is terrible. It dies to doom blade. But that being said, here are my thoughts on the cards in the deck.

legion loyalist - Mostly ineffective, never had battalion be relevant
favored hoplite - pretty saucy on turn one if I could target it on turn 2, otherwise it was just a dude i dropped
akroan crusader - did not like him as much as the hoplite

Ash Zealot - only played it once, haste is good the graveyard ability is irrelevant
Akroan Hoplite - i kinda like this guy

Viashino Firstblade - 4/4 with haste is no hellkite but gets the job done
Minotaur Skullcleaver - 4 power with haste gets the job done

MadcapSkillz - sets you up for the twofer but you only drop it when the guy is going to get in, so it's really a bolt to the dome and sometimes you get in twice and feel dirty
Boros Charm - one of my favorite cards of all time. 4 to the dome for 2 at instant speeds is good and the double strike is fun with heroic
Ajani - what can i say, evasion + double strike =  sign me up




Titan's Strength - does a decent impression of bolt and works with heroic, scry 1 is better than i thought it would be

3 comments:

  1. the only thing that might be better than scry 1 is scry 2 and it's debatable, since it costs more. scry 3 costs way too much.

    ReplyDelete