Thursday, September 5, 2013

Etiquette

Travis Woo wrote a nice article about shuffling and handshakes over at channel fireball (check it out here). I wanted to add a few thoughts on the topic.

Shuffling

1. The mana weave, i.e. placing your lands evenly spaced throughout your deck. That shit takes time and I hate draws. I absolutely hate it when someone weaves their land on me. Why would you do that if you weren't trying to get an advantage? If we assume you are shuffling to randomize your deck then what's the point. Weaved lands are not "more random"!!!! Grrrr anger for days.

2. You ever get that feeling before you draw your cards that you are going to mulligan. I get it all the time. Man I hate that. I've been thinking about just shuffling a fixed number of times and going with it.

3. Does shuffling really randomize your deck? People tell me it does, people say seven shuffles is fully random.

Handshakes

1. I had a kid offer a handshake after game 1 last weekend. While I doubt that he knows a handshake signifies concession of the match ... what is he thinking? Like do people shake hands after every set in tennis? But hey good sportsmanship so good on him.

2. I hate it when people say 'good game'. I know it's convention but I hate it. Absolutely hate it. I mean if the game is good then fine, I have no beef with that. But sometimes one of the players just doesn't get to play magic. How is a game where I make bad mulligan decisions and then get punished for it a good game?

No comments:

Post a Comment