Monday, June 17, 2013

Under Pressure

There is definitely no substitute for actually, you know, playing games to figure out how a deck actually works. I touched on some of the insights in the post-tournament roundup, but to recap

1) Super mana hungry
2) Sphinx's Revelation not totally uber
3) Treasured find more useful than expected
4) Sideboard is key.

The last two need some explanation. The case against getting cards out of the graveyard to recast is that you're wasting resources bringing it back when instead you could just be drawing a more useful card to begin with. In 99% of decks that's true, but here's the funny thing about Under Pressure: assuming I have a Maze's End, I don't *need* to draw cards, I just need time. It's a subtle difference, but a key one.

While sideboarding is always important, it takes on new importance here because of the unexpected nature of the deck. There's absolutely no meta prep around it, so there's usually very little an opponent can adjust. If I don't take advantage of that, then I'm forgoing my greatest asset. As a sidenote, I'm a terrible side-boarder.

Components
The Basics (14 land, 4 fake-land)
10 Gates
4 Maze's End
4 Gatecreeper Vine (kind of a land)

Other Land (10)
3 Temple Gardens
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Breeding Pool
2 Godless Shrine

Creatures (aka life) (6)
3 Centaur Healer
3 Saruli Gatekeepers

Spells (26)
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Azorius Charm
4 Far // Away
2 Urban Evolution
2 Detention Sphere
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Treasured Find
2 Putrefy

Sideboard
Aetherize
Dispel
Detention Sphere
Rest in Peace
Renounce the Guilds
Extra Saruli & Centaur

Fun Thoughts
Diabolic Revelation
Door to Nothingness (okay, this is for lulz... but it might work, right?)
Dreadbore (potentially damn handy since I have zero planeswalker handling ability)
Gaze of Granite (more mana friendly Verdict...?)
Ground Seal (does the cantrip nature >> RIP?)
Increasing Ambition (would I rather cast this or Urban Evolution?)
Ral Zarek (untapping maze's end early = lulz. Side benefit: annoying creature removal)
Catch // Release (I really really wanted to use a multicolored fuse card, because if I can't who on earth can? Might be worth investigating if instant but at a sorcery.... BLARG)
Unexpected Results (land draw = good but maybe not enough high power crap?)
Desolate Lighthouse (I have always loved the Jalum Tome and since I usually have at least some shocklands that I don't want, draw/discard isn't really that painful. Awkward mana-wise though)

Any thoughts on what's worth playtesting?

7 comments:

  1. warleader's helix?

    battle of wits/mazes end combo?

    sire of insanity to put them in topdeck mode once you have a maze's end?

    just spitballs here

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Warleader's might be a great fit, though I'm worried about red mana.

    I don't see the Battle of wits working, how would I have a 220 card deck? However, nothing would give me greater pleasure than winning with the Wits. Almost sweeter than Door to Nothingness.

    Sire of Insanity... I seem to have cards in my hand an awful lot more than my opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also some interesting sacrifice options (helps me get around hexproof annoyances)

    Barter in Blood
    Devour Flesh
    Grave Exchange (prohibitively expensive but recasting a Saruli makes me giggle)
    Tribute to Hunger

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the ral zerek plan. especially when you rock that ultimate, just ices the game

    ReplyDelete
  5. also are they for real with the art on Grave Exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is looking at Plasm Capture (to power SR or some other hideously expensive spell) getting overly cute you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love Plasm Capture. but it's tough to live the dream. I usually found myself not wanting to counter a spell that cost 2 or 3. The trouble with using it to power SR is that you want to play that spell at the end of your opponents turn. Plasm forces you to use the bonus mana on your main phase.

    Overall I think Plasm Capture is fair and balanced. Therefore not appropriate for Standard :)

    but i want it to work so bad.

    ReplyDelete