Saturday, June 29, 2013

Domri Rade

I want to take a moment to discuss a card I have recently fallen in love with (does it count as the end of a sentence if you follow it with a parenthetical comment?):

Domri Rade

I've never played with a planeswalker consistently before. I usually think of them like a creature where you want them to stay alive with high priority. So I didn't understand this card being a 4 of. However I started playing with it and now i get it. A small amount of card advantage is all you want from Domri. If you get to use him two or three times you got a ton of value. And he disposable, time for a new one.

+1: So this first ability has been hitting for me about half the time, given that my deck is about 50/50 creature non-creatures, it makes sense. I can't see pushing the deck higher in creature concentration because the spells are really essential.

-2: The second ability is where this dude really shines. He functions in the deck as a removal spell. This deck has some big dudes and some persisty dudes, so it is really easy to get value from this ability. And let's not forget to mention the sweet combo with Boros Reckoner. HOLY SHIT! This feels dirty. Often a two for none. Just gross. I am always looking to make it happen with these two when they are on the board.

Boros Reckoner

-7: I've never gotten close to this one before. Because I'm playing Domri and he's living, so I'm winning. However I can see it being relevant against control. Right now they have a few answers for planeswalkers, like Abrupt Decay or Detention Sphere, but that's about it. If you get to that point in the game against control you want to be +1ing him anyways, and that emblem just hoses control.

 But yeah, it is really just win more.

2 comments: