Thursday, June 6, 2013

Return to Ravnica Bloc Draft #2 - Still Very Bad

...try, try again, amirite?

Pick one, pack one:

Yep. I'm, taking the land.

Let's go to the next pack:

Jelen Sphinx is tempting, but I like the flexibility of Punish the Enemy. I'd be happy going Gruul, Rakdos, or Boros, in that order.

I pick up Thrashing Mossdog, some blue cards like Runner's Bane and Flux Charager in packs that had no Gruul, then get a pack with Kraul Warrior and Zhur-Taa Druid late. I think to myself, Gruul looks good, take the ramper, and make a mental note to pick Simic or Izzet Gates for a potential splash. In hindsight, perhaps the insect was the better choice. Other cards of note pack one include three cluestones, two red, two green, and two black, which make splashing for late Morgue Burst a possibility.

Pick one, pack two, I open mystic rare Aurelia, Warleader and rare-draft it of course. Perhaps that wasn't the best plan, but from what I recall, there wasn't too much on-color on offer. In pack two, I pick up Rubblehulk, Molten Primordial, Ivy-Lane Denizen, and super-late Pit Fight and Charger, but no premium bloodrush.

Pack three is not my friend, with no Izzet gates for my splash, no two-drops in green or red, but a couple more four-drops.

This curve is disgusting and I deserve every match I lose because of it. Look at those last three cards: Chorus of Might, Furious Resistance, and Mountain. Yup, I ran an 18-lander because the curve was too high and I didn't have another card I actually want.

One alternative was two cluestones and two swamps to play Morgue Burst. I sided into this configuration twice against slower, grindy decks. Another was splash blue with no fixing save a Gruul Cluestone. Not what I call a good idea.

Round 1: Lose, quickly
Round 2: Lose, but have a glimmer of hope at one point
Round 3: In the last place match again, win the first and third game to salvage 7th in the pod.

At least I'm improving?

1 comment: