Monday, June 17, 2013

Pro Tour Qalamity

round 1: My opponent is rocking Naya Blitz with Hellrider, Reckoner, Noble, Cackler. My opponent was from Romania. He works for Amazon and was in town on business. Anyways he wins the die roll and I mulligan a no lander. My next six are some dudes and 2 lands. I've got a turn one and two play so I figure it's good to go. However I never do get that third land. A Hellrider from him on turn four hurts, and he follows it up with a Hellrider on turn five. Ouch. Never got a spear or a Domri so I couldn't deal with it.

Game two I've sped up my deck, dropping the high end stuff in favor of Unflinching Courage and Selesnya Charm. We both keep our 7 and I open with Experiment one, then Geist, then Voice, then Geist. Pretty brutal, he develops as well into a turn 4 Hellrider. We're swinging back and forth. On his turn five the score is 13-7. He swings in and I go to 6. I've got 9 power on the board so I swing and he dies. At which point my opponent looks at his pad with surprise. "I guess I was on 7, did that math wrong". Onto game 3.

0ame 3. I am on the draw and kept a hand with great action but only M10 lands. I lose: 20-20,18-20,14-20,10-20,dead. It was simply too slow. Clearly should have mulled.

L 1-2 (0-1)

round 2: Aristocrats. Tough match up for me, made even tougher because I haven't played against it and don't know how to sideboard. Yeah preparation required. The first game the scores go like this. 20-20,14-20,9-20,dead. I stumbled a little out of the gate but what did me in was the flyers. I just couldn't touch them and lingering souls plus Falkenrath did me in.

I had no idea how to board so I went with my aggro plan. I sped up my curve like before with Selesnya Charm and Unflinching Courage. Yeah that's the way to go, side board in creature enchantments against the deck full of removal. Solid! Anyways I should have lost this game but I got two Voices out early. Then he played a tragic slip on my turn and I got two Elementals, and my Voices were till alive. That was simply too much for him to handle. He did do some sweet stuff like steal  my creature and sac it but still, my 5/5 elemental beaters were dominating. The game would have been over real quick he got out a Blood Artist and gained a bunch off of it. On to game 3.

Well I redid my board and got rid of the enchantments. I contemplated bringing in Rest in Peace, but didn't because I don't know what I'm doing. Anyways things were going fine. On turn four I had a geist a dryad and a Rampager. If I hit a fourth land on the draw I could drop it play the geist and swing, rampagering where necessary for the win. Alas it didn't come and I chose to commit dudes to the board and bash. That was a mistake because he had the Blashphemous Act to wipe my board and a tragic slip to clean up the undying geist. I should have just Rampagered and then used the Geist next turn after the wipe, which he was going to do anyway. Total play mistake by me. Game loss, Match Loss. Ugg

Also this guy played super slow and I should have called a judge. Also he was super sloppy with his Blood Artist triggers and again I should have called a judge. I'm just not douchey enough for this.

L 1-2 (0-2)

Well that was a kick in the teeth. I feel like I really just need to prepare more, I should know my game plan and sideboard plan against all the major match ups before the tournament. I didn't, no excuses really. Perhaps just take it easy and rock some casual FNM in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment