Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Deck for the PTQ on Saturday

There are three flavors of Naya out there right now. And all are seeing success.



Of these three I don't really like the Blitz strategy because it relies too much on a solid one drop. If you don't hit a turn one Champion you are really behind, and it plays 4 experiment one (which i love) but it has 12 creatures that don't even evolve it when it is a 1/1, I think that is too much inefficiency. Also with the complete lack of instant speed spells it's just not for me. Alas it is the cheapest.

So now we come to the decision between Ramp and Aggro, both are 28 creatures and about 10 spells. For the aggro build I think the Dryad Militant is the weakest, I would be tempted to put Pilgrim's in this place but they don't trigger the evolve and I feel we need to be maximizing the synergy. Also the ability is relevant, turn one Dryad into turn two Voice plays havoc with the control decks. No flashback on Think Twice and no end of turn Azorius charm. Furthermore the ramp deck only has 5 one drops, all dorks. In my opinion that is not enough to ensure a turn one play, if they don't have that then there are only 6 creature cards you can play on turn two, Selesnya Charm, and Voice of Resurgence. I feel like you're giving up a lot of tempo, which just puts you that much closer to Far//Away-tastrophe. Also you are in a position with little resilience. The aggro build can regenerate the experiment, and persist the geist.

Warped Physique Strangleroot Geist

Plus let's talk about Strangleroot Geist. I love this card. Haste is sweet especially on the control matchup. It helps you dig out of being on the draw, and the card advantage is sweet.

The downside of the aggro build is that you don't get to play Domri. I love the engine of powering out 4 and 5 drops while continuously drawing more. However I think this deck requires much more delicate mulling decisions. And let's be clear that is not one of my strength.

I have decided to go with a deck that is the aggro style. Something along the lines of:

4x Experiment One
4x Dryad Militant
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Strangleroot Geist
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Loxodon Smiter
4x Ghor-Clan Rampager
2x Advent of the Wurm (actually haven't played much but it's got to be good, right)
2x Selesnya Charm/rancor
2x Boros Charm
4x Searing Spear ( go to mizzium b/c of blood baron? )
22 appropriate lands
I would like to work in a couple more one drops. Sorry if this was a bit rambly and streamy. Don't have time to obsess.


No comments:

Post a Comment