Thursday, July 11, 2013

See the Whole Board

I tend to play pretty quickly. Usually I only see one option and a lot of my games I feel like I don't really get to actually make any decisions. Clearly this line of thinking is rubbish. I'm making tons of decisions and eliminating almost all options immediately. And usually I make the right decision. However doing so only wins you games that your deck (or your opponent's deck) hands you.

What opened my eyes was a webcast by PVDDR

I can never pass an opportunity to show a pro player card.

It was a match from the block constructed pro tour. He was in the feature area and was commenting on the match after the fact. It started out with his opponent was playing out some dudes over the first few turns. And PVDDR didn't play a spell until turn three. But he pointed out all of the decisions he was making along the way.

  • Which land do I play?
  • Should I take two off my shockland?
  • Should I play an instant on turn two?

You get the idea. Going forward I'm going to take a little longer to explore what my options actually are. And maybe I'll just start wining more.

once i get that figured out then I can start to play with a plan. and then maybe even trying to figure out what my opponent's plan it and plan accordingly. (lol, like that's gonna happen)

ps: apparently I'm in love with starting sentences using the word "and". What's up with that. Go to high school bro.


3 comments:

  1. I have (what I think is) two examples of this (one of which is particularly fun) in an upcoming draft recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most enjoyable parts of the Maze's End deck is picking the first few gates I pull via the Vine or ME. Which mana colors do I need? Do I get the 2nd white for a potential Supreme Verdict? Decisions everywhere!

    ReplyDelete