Thursday, July 18, 2013

M14 Pre-release review: 1-3

I've been stalling on my pre-release review because I got mostly crushed and I deserved to get crushed. Played against one prick (didn't cheat or do anything awful, just clearly far too serious for an effing pre-release tournament for god's sake) and three delightful humans. Most of whom beat me handily. The only good moment was combining

Molten Birth Devout Invocation

into 10x 4/4 flying angels. I won that one needless to say.

I'd rather review my deck choices and see if anyone has any feedback on What Went Wrong. Each color is broken apart by my rough sense of "very good in sealed" to "not very good in sealed"

Blightcaster
Lifebane Zombie
Blood Bairn
Child of Night
Minotaur Abomination
Corpse Hauler
Deathgaze Cockatrice
Mark of the Vampire
Dark Favor
Vile Rebirth
Altar's Reap
Shadowborn Apostle
Xathrid Necromancer
Festering Newt (2)

Air Servant
Trained Condor (2)
Nephalia Seakite
Time Ebb
Essence Scatter
Divination
Glimpse the Future
Sensory Deprivation
Zephyr Charge
Spell Blast
Dismiss into Dream
Armored Cancrix (2)
Tome Scour

Briarpack Alpha
Deadly Recluse
Trollhide
Giant Growth
Ranger's Guile
Advocate of the Beast
Kalonian Tusker
Lay of the Land
Gladecover Scout
Bramblecrush (2)
Groundshaker Sliver (2)
Sporemound
Naturalize

Volcanic Geyser
Chandra's Outrage (3) (!)
Thunder Strike
Dragon Egg
Chandra's Phoenix
Striking Sliver
Blur Sliver
Marauding Maulhorn
Seismic Stomp
Demolish
Regathan Firecat
Molten Birth
Wild Guess
Act of Treason (2)

Capashen Knight
Imposing Sovereign
Devout Incantation
Charging Griffin
Griffin Sentinel
Celestial Flare (2)
Sentinel Sliver (2)
Siege Mastodon
Pay No Heed
Angelic Accord
Soul Mender
Congregate
Pillarfield Ox
Suntail Hawk

Door of Destinies
Bubbling Cauldron
Bunch of Staves that are not relevant


Right off the bat, the direct damage and removal in red is almost irresistible. Supported by decent-ish creatures; seems a strong base. Now what to pair with red? All of the good solid red spells are double-red, this makes me very very leery of going tri-color. I ended up in white which, aside from Devoid Incantation, just felt super soft.

Looking back, the Blightcaster beckoned but too many spells were taken by the direct damage to toss in a bunch of enchantments around it. Green seemed a little shallow unless I'm wrong and Bramblecrush is a gamebreaker in sealed. Struck me as too slow for that. Blue I worry that I was far far too quick to dismiss. Air Servant is probably way too rad in sealed and toss in the card drawers to shrink the deck. With the white, I was perhaps too quick to dismiss the Celestial Flare

Here's what I did. Listening to the podcast Pete gave me makes me wince even more. Siege Mastodon in the 5 slot? God, what was I thinking? Too many cards that dont have an impact


Capashen Knight, Imposing Sovereign, Devout Incantation, Charging Griffin, Griffin Sentinel, Pillarfield Ox, Suntail Hawk, Sentinel Sliver (2), Siege Mastodon

Volcanic Geyser, Chandra's OutrageThunder Strike, Dragon Egg, Chandra's Phoenix, Striking Sliver, Marauding Maulhorn, Regathan Firecat, Molten Birth, Blur Sliver, Wild Guess

10 Mountains, 7 Plains

God,looking at it, I hate it even more.

What I should have done? HALP

4 comments:

  1. at first glance, red looks like it might be a trap to me. All the burn spells are awesome, but there isn't enough else that i want to run. the red slivers are just junk unless they are in a supporting role of the power-boosting broodmates.

    red only has 4 creatures i want. thats not good. no matter what i pair with red, i don't see a deck. and all the burn is double red, which cramps the mana.

    Volcanic Geyser
    Chandra's Outrage (3)
    Chandra's Phoenix
    Marauding Maulhorn
    Regathan Firecat
    Dragon Egg
    Thunder Strike
    Wild Guess

    This is tough to do without the cards in front -of me, but how about Black-red-light blue? the mana will be ugly, but that's pretty much unavoidable. my last cuts were the blue pseudo-removal. seems redundant with all the red.

    Blightcaster
    Lifebane Zombie
    Blood Bairn
    Child of Night
    Minotaur Abomination
    Corpse Hauler
    Deathgaze Cockatrice
    Mark of the Vampire
    Dark Favor
    Altar's Reap
    Xathrid Necromancer

    Volcanic Geyser
    Chandra's Outrage (3)
    Dragon Egg
    Chandra's Phoenix
    Marauding Maulhorn
    Regathan Firecat

    Air Servant
    Trained Condor (2)
    Nephalia Seakite

    are you sure this is all the cards? ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sure that this is all the cards. That makes me feel a lot better for failing to come up with a decent deck though.

    I did a second take: blue/red with a white splash. Downside, 10 (!) spells. Suicide or genius when so much of it is just removal?

    10 Red
    Volcanic Geyser
    Chandra's Outrage (3)
    Dragon Egg
    Chandra's Phoenix
    Marauding Maulhorn
    Regathan Firecat
    Striking Sliver
    Thunder Strike
    Wild Guess
    Blur Sliver

    Blue (8)
    Air Servant
    Trained Condor (2)
    Nephalia Seakite
    Time Ebb
    Divination
    Glimpse the Future
    Essence Scatter

    White
    Charging Griffin
    Devout Invocation

    Land: 4 plains, 6 islands, 8 mountains.

    I think I like yours a lot more. I was just trying to figure out a way to cram in cards that win games.

    Thanks for taking the time to build a deck! I really appreciate it. Now record an M14 draft so I can sucker my friends in joining me at the next one!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. M14 won't come online until the end of the month. I know next to nothing about hits format, because core set draft is meh, but looking at your two pre-release pools, i did notice a LOT of of powerful cards that require double mana early.

    For draft, I suggest sticking with heavy one color and lighter second color. That way you can consistently hit the early double-mana power commons in your main color.

    the 3/3 for GG is so important that i would want to run green blue with like 11 forests and 6 islands, which makes me want a 70/30 split of green to blue cards.

    black - cockatrice
    green - tusker, sporemound
    red - outrage, maulhorn
    white - banisher priest, celestial flare (i think it can do good work, remember the end-of-combat step)

    If you go slivers, go hard, but commit only for the good ones (ones that have good stats on their own or boost power [sentinal, battle, muscle... er... sinew... er... predatory]

    ReplyDelete