Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Blast From the Past: Cheating

I was listening to the walking the planes guy's interview with Chris Pikula. They spent a decent amount of time talking about cheating. One of the things that Pikula mentioned was tyring to eliminate the "double nickel". As much as I find Mike Flores' writing to be straight out of high school, he does get all the major ideas down on the page. If you want to hear more about the ole "double-nickle" head over to http://fivewithflores.com/2009/05/how-to-cheat/. I'll wait.


Ok, now that you're back. Let me talk about how I shuffle. I do the same thing every time. I start with one pile shuffle to count my deck. I don't really think pile shuffling does you anything from a randomization stand point but it is the fastest way I know to count my deck. I find mistakes all the time, card left in a box, or a bonus sideboard card still in, etc. I don't go so far as to pile my opponents deck but I would probably pick up a free win at every PTQ if I did.

Now that my cards are counted I proceed to riffle shuffle, and riffle, and riffle, and riffle. Until my opponent presents I keep shuffling. That's all. Then I just cut their deck. Because I don't really care. Maybe I should do more at a PTQ but for FNM or CK draft or Prerelease there is just no way.

~~~~~

I'm sure I've been cheated against countless times. However I've only been told about it once. I was playing a draft back at The End. I was in the finals and playing against some douche bag. He took forever to shuffle my deck. And I got mana screwed hard. I didn't think anything of it and the same thing happened again in game two. After the match I was bitching about it to someone I had befriended at the store. He just laughed at me. He then asked a few questions:

Do you play with sleeves? --- NO
What lands are you using? --- My old revised lands

He then went on to explain that "my grandmother" can pick those lands out. And that my opponent simply clumped my lands. I was completely shocked. I couldn't even fathom someone doing that to win a game of magic. My eyes were open. I play in sleeves now. Looking back how could I not realize that you can see old cards pretty easy without sleeves, but that's just how I was. Never even thinking about cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment