Monday, July 8, 2013

Final RTR Block Draft Ever - Part I

Well this weekend was likely the last chance I'll have to draft DGM/GTC/RTR. So I headed over the Card Kingdom forgoing the local PTQ. The draft started off weak with nothing exciting. I first picked this dude.

Viashino Firstblade Putrefy

Ugg. I don't have the fancy pack viewer but suffice it to say this pick was probably wrong. My second pick was a Putrefy. Nothing coherent came together that pack and I was left with a pile. The only other exciting thing I had was a Punish the enemy. Basically I had just taken the best cards in whatever colors and hoped for the best.  Reviewing my picks before Gatecrash was opened I was lost. Then it hit me, time to gamble. A Krasis Incubation wheeled so I decided Simic was way way way open and I decided to pounce. The first pick of the next pack was:

Prime Speaker Zegana

Well I was in it now. What showed up in pack two was nothing short of a miracle. I wound up playing 11 cards from that pack all but one bearing the simic guild mark. All the usual suspects made an appearance (frilled oculus, shambleshark, etc). The exciting ones being a Nimbus Swimmer, and a Bioshift (full deck list below).

Nimbus Swimmer Bioshift

Going into the last pack I was still a little light but I was confident I could make it happen. I did need some removal and some medium sized guys as well. Fortunately the pieces continued to fall into place. I picked up two late izzet guildgates (which combined with my gruul gate) make the splash of Punish the Enemy essentially free. I got some middle sized dudes as well in the form of: Rubbleback Rhino, Stoneface Crocodile, and a Golgari Longlegs. The Voidwielder was gravy. And then a super late Paralyzing grasp. This deck really came together.

Here's the List I played: 17lands / 5 spells / 18 creatures

7 island
7 forest

RTR:  7 spells / 2 gates: giant growth, korozda monitor, rubbleback rhino, stonefare crocodile, golgari longlegs, Paralyzing grasp, voidwielder, 2x izzet guildgate

GTC: 11 spells: Simic Fluxmage, 2x Clinging Anemones, Shambleshark , Frilled Oculus, Nimbus Swimmer, , Prime Speaker Zegana, Leyline Phantom, Bioshift, Cloudfin Raptor, Drakewing Krasis,

DGM: 5 spells / 1 gate: krasis incubation (wheeled), thrashing mossdog, saruli gatekeepers, murmuring phantasm, punish the enemy, gruul guildgate

CloseCuts/Sideboard: Isperia's Skywatch, Riot Gear, Forced Adaptation, Dispel, Izzet Keyrune, Maze Behemoth


But what you really want to know is how I dressed it up. Simple, Zendikar basics with House Lannister sleves, obv.

With bonus shadow from the photographer!

Stay tuned for part two where we find out what happens.

4 comments:

  1. no other good izzet or gruul splashes then?

    ++++++++++++++++++

    re: draft viewer

    i can ship you an example output file from MODO, so then you can take phone pics of all your packs, format it just like the MODO file, then run it through the code creator... if you want

    ReplyDelete
  2. splashes: I wasn't looking for splashes (bad drafting on my part). I took the Punish early in pack one because it is a good card. The gates coming were just gravy. When drafting I wasn't even aware of the free splash. again room for improvement.

    ++++++++++++++++++

    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alos, ravnica drafts will be available until next summer on MODO

      Delete
  3. at the moment i tell myself that i play for the tangible aesthetic and therefore MODO does not appeal to me. I resist your temptations.

    ReplyDelete