Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Complaining about the Journey to Nyx Prerelease

As you can guess from the title I am little pissed about my prerelease experience I will save you the full deck and match recap and get right to the details. I chose blue and build a Blue/Black grind em' down deck. The best card was a Hythonia, and my favorite card was the Shipwrecked Singer.

Hythonia the Cruel and Shipwreck Singer

My favorite new card is sigiled starfish.

Sigiled Starfish

For like the 8 millionth straight tournament I went 3-1. I should be happy with a 75% showing. But you gotta remember that the earlier rounds are easier, so even if I'm rocking a 75% win rate if I'm 0-12 in round 4, then I'm not reallying winning 75% now, am I?

So the reason why I'm mad today is how I lost the match that I lost. My opponent is rocking a super sweet mana base. 8/5/4. He would later talk about how he balanced the forests (5) to match the number of green cards in his deck (also 5). Uggs.

Game 1 - I curve out a 2/3/4 and I'm feeling good. Meanwhile he hits all his colors on turns 1/2/4, gross. I then whiff on land to go to 5 (I kept a 3 lander btw). He continues to rock out his mana and beats me. I was upset but maybe it was just a splash on that third color. Whatever

Game 2 - I rock a turn 1 unblockable dude and a turn 2 ordeal (I'm not proud but that's how it goes). He abysmally fails on mana and looses. Cursing his "bad luck"

Triton Shorestalker into Ordeal of Thassa

I managed to pull this off 3 times in the tournament and it got me there every time. I often shielded my dude with the Brian Wong approved Necrobite.

Game 3 - Essentially a carbon copy of game 1 except he got is lands 1/2/3. I started out playing some nice stuff and then whiff on my 5th land drop 4 times in a row. I built my deck normally with a typical curve and in this game I kept a 4 lander. He wasn't quite playing the devils mana base but still.



And to top it all off I never played my Hythonia. I had her in hand once but didn't even need to pay her to win.ugggg. Still the prere was a blast. I'm super excited for the next one because it's a core set and we get to watch R&D build a set with pieces that they understand how to use. Should be good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment