Monday, August 12, 2013

Magic Game Day Standard at Card Kingdom

Well Card Kingdom was running a game day tourney. Swiss standard with a cut to top 8 after 6 rounds (like 35 players). For showing up I got on of these:

 
and one of these if I make top 8.

I don't know about you guys but I love stuff like this. All cards should be this way if you ask me, or something like this. Anyways I decided to play WUR similar to what was played at the Magic World Championships. Kaz played Kibler's Grull list.

Round 1: I got paired up against Jund. I opened up with no lands. Easy mulligan. Then I drew 6 lands. Awesome! Way to go deck. Finally I get down to 5 and keep. This game played out pretty normal. I drew about a million cards but only got lands. I managed some Sphinx's action, some Warleader's Helix, etc. My opponent managed to get a bunch of Thragtusks but I was always able to Turn//Burn or what not. He even missed a trigger when I Terminused, bonus! So on turn 7 I have a decision. Go for Aetherling leaving a blue up, or hold it. The way he was playing he had the necessary kill spells (I asked after the match and he had Doomblade and Dreadbore). So I hold the AEtherling. The next turn my opponent drops a Rakdos' Return. Boom shitty. However I was in control and nowhere near dead. Eventually he ground out the win because I kept whiffing. Oh well.

Game two was sweet. I got my sided in Assemble the Legion and deployed it. And the judge called turns. I didn't have enough time to finish my opponent off but he confirmed that he was toast. L 0-1-1 (0-1)

Well that was gross, I was crushing post board but it just took way way way too long. I guess I should have scooped on game one earlier and then I may have had time to finish game two and get the draw. But this isn't soccer, who draws. On the upside the judge dropped a few extra promos on us.

Maze 

Round 2: Got paired up against a guy I have played against before. He usually gets pretty mad when he gets "screwed by luck". That happened again this game. Easy 2-0. The second game I was able to stick a Boros Reckoner on turn 3 and it swung turn after turn to kill him. W 2-0 (1-1)

Round 3: My opponent was rocking that elves ramp deck. He dropped a quick Garrruuuuk on like turn 4.

Garruk, Caller of Beasts

I had no answer. He activated it twice and I lost to a Craterhoof. Onto game 2.

I sided in a bunch of early burn and extra counters; I dropped my high end like AEtherling and Sphinx's. Didn't matter. I was able to keep burning out his early dudes but he still managed to stick a Garruk. A few activations later and it was all over. Same thing as before. I just rolled over to that match up. Had no plan, didn't know the deck, totally my bad. L 0-2 (1-2) Drop


Well that was a kick in the balls. I still like my deck but I just roll to that elves deck. I think I was ok against the Jund deck especially post board. And that wierdo in round two took himself out of every game. So I'm not writing this off yet. I do wonder if WUR is not good for the meta at this store. Just looking around it seems like tons of jund and creatures and aggro. Not much other stuff.

The good news was that I finished just in time to draft! Draft report to come!

1 comment:

  1. http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?event_ID=29&start_date=2013-08-11&end_date=2013-08-11&state=CO&city=Denver&order_1=finish&limit=8&t_num=1&action=Show+Decks

    ReplyDelete