Tuesday, August 13, 2013

M14 Draft #1 - Draft and Deck Building

I finally got to draft M14. This was a side draft - $13, single elim, 6-4-1-1 (lame). Let's go.

Pack 1 Pick 1: The choice is between Pacifism and Foil Pacifism and Liturgy of Blood. I go Pacifism.

Pacifism
originial art, which is super sweet!

Pack 1 Pick 2: Got passed a Nightmare and a Chandra's Outrage, and Deadly Recluse. Nightmare was awesome when I was in 5th grade. So why not now. Plus I prefer to play questions rather than answers.

Nightmare Nightmare
once again the old art dominates! Comment if you disagree!

Pack 1 Pick 3: I open some stuff and ... HOLY CRAP I WAS JUST PASSED A CORRUPT. WE ARE GOING MONOBLACK SO HARD IT'S GOING TO HURT.

Corrupt Corrupt
both arts are super shitty. 1-0-1 in favor of old art.

Pack 1: The rest was me just grabbing every black card I could. Corpsehauler, Festering Newt. Liturgy of Blood. Undead Minotaur, Child of Night. I'm feeling pretty good about this plan.

Pack 2 Pick 1: I open Dark Prophecy. 

Dark Prophecy
I love it when a plan comes together.

I had to pass a Serra Angel but clearly I'm on the black train. I keep managing to acquire pieces. Got another Corrupt, and couple more kills spells. Some durderlers. And then on pick 6,

Bogbrew Witch

Hot damn, I've already got one newt. This is getting good. Two packs later I get passed

Bubbling Cauldron

Holee freaking shit. This is now the best draft deck I ever had. Pack 3 is more of the same. Clearly I am drafting with people who don't know what they are doing.

Final deck list:

17 swamps.
1 drop - 2x festering newt, 2x wring flesh
2 drop - gnawing zombie, 2x coprse hauler, 2x child of night, altar's reap, bubbling cauldron
3 drop - undead minotaur, mind rot, quag sickness, dark prophecy
4 drop - bogbrew witch
5 drop - vampire warlord, nightwing shade, 2x liturgy of blood
6 drop - nightmare, 2x corrupt 

I'm pretty stoked at this point. My high end removal spells are the tits. I just need to get there. Fortunately I have double corpse hauler. In case you are not familiar you can hauler for hauler.

Corpse Hauler
it takes a lot of mana, but it buys you a ton of time.

And the bubbling cauldron doesn't make it hard to get there either. Plus I've got the tron in the Witch, Cauldron, 2x Newt. Look at me I even have a game plan.

Late Cuts: 2x minotaur abomination (curve), Blightcaster and 2x dark favor (not powerful enough), 2x vile rebirth (I really want t play this but it just seems kinda weak). But maybe

Vile Rebirth
instant speed surprise 2/2 is probably ok in black.

Diabloic Tutor, I just don't need it. Duress, totally sideboard time.

Tune in next time for the match reports.

5 comments:

  1. The power of the wring flesh surprises me a little. Is it just kind of like an inverted Thunder Strike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wring flesh is the weakest kind of instant black removal, but I would still much rather it than the thunder strike.

      to echo loreto, killing 1 toughness dudes outright is very good (mana elf, trained condor, firecat)

      the price is certainly right

      the -3 to power means it is useful against big things only in combat, which is a black mark in my book. again you have the potential to get blown out (two-for-oned) by giant growth or doom blade (or chandra's outrage), but you will get two-for-oned less because sometime you are just using it to kill a utility guy, in which case their giant growth is a one-for-one and their instant removal can't help them.

      i put wring flesh behind premium removal, but in the top half of combat tricks. Dragon's Maze had a similar card that was -4/-2 that suffered from the same problems, except it also cost four mana.

      Delete
    2. Y U HAT THUNDER STRIKE SO MUCH?1/

      Learning is fun!

      Delete
    3. one mana is such a good price for anything.

      imagine:

      t1: nothing
      Vt1: nothing
      t2: goblin piker
      Vt2: kalonian tusker
      t3: child of night, block+wring flesh when Villain attacks, now the pressure is on.

      it turns out card advantage is sometimes less important than the number of spells you cast, so wring flesh is usually a one-for-one, but an excellent tempo play, letting you cast two spells on one turn, removing one of Villain's threats and making one of your own.

      Delete
  2. so first off it can kill a creature with only one toughness. that in and of itself is valuable. (there are 21 of those out of 78 total creatures) aka 27% of the creatures in the format.

    now in combat it means that my creature can kill a creature with one additional toughness.

    And the -3 is huge. in M14 there are 5 (7) common (uncommon) creatures with more than 3 power. As opposed to 66 creatures with power 3 or less. So basically you can't lose the combat.

    i will turn these thoughts into a full on blog post.

    ReplyDelete