Wednesday, July 19, 2017

MTGO: throwback BW zombeeeez

Two drafts in a row?! Let's effing do this! Also you can now either flip through the Draft Viewer OR the sweet-sweet live stream. I think I fixed the audio on this one!





http://draftsignals.com/draft/-KpIxLs_VocGravE1WGq

Pack One

Pick 1

Kefnet's Last Word Steward of Solidarity


Not a particularly difficult P1p1. Kefnet's Last Call is about as good of a bomb as you can hope for. I would probably take one of the evil gods over it (in the event of a foil or some such nonsense) but that's about it.

Pick 2

Resolute Survivors Dauntless Aven
I basically get passed junk. There is no halfway decent blue card. I waffle between the playable white card and a higher power gold card. I take the gold card, arguably erroneously.

Pick 3

Sandblast Dauntless Aven Lethal Sting

Still an absolute drought in blue. Lethal sting raises an eyebrow as that's pretty good removal so black might be open. However with good playable white cards I don't think the power-jump is worth it as it is still conditional removal. I take the Aven here. Sweet art on the Sandblast though, <3 Seb.

Pick 4


Aven of Enduring Hope Solitary Camel Marauding Boneslasher Merciless Eternal

The white continues to flow, the blue remains bone-dry and the black seems to have playables available late. I take the other, bigger Aven but I'm officially looking at BW as a thing.

Pick 5

Torment of Scarabs Wretched Camel Carrion Screecher

Yuuup, black looks open. I'm still not sold on Torment though I haven't played it myself. I like the verdict that "it does work in an aggro deck" when they can't just sacrifice life. If I was a real magic player dedicated to experimenting with cards, that should be my pick. I take the safe two-drop instead. It doesn't take much work for it to be a 2-for-1.

A brief aside

Merciless Eternal

I see another late Merciless Eternal and I pass. Looking at it, I now see that it is a Zombie (which, durr, all the eternals are). I'm still not convinced on it. Threat of activation is real, afflict is nice, but ditching a card? Does this want to be in the cycling/discard deck? This might be a card I'm too low on.

Pack 2

Honestly, super straightforward. A good stream of good black and white cards without any particularly difficult pick.


Pack 3

Pick 1

Cast Out Plague Belcher

Now THIS is a choice! Sweet unconditional removal versus a positively vicious three-drop. I take the plague belcher: the synergies are sweet, the pressure of 5/4 menace is real (throw the counters on your camel and force a discard).

Pick 4

Fan Bearer Edifice of Authority Cradle of the Accursed

Another interesting one. I think, for me, Fan Bearer is just better than Edifice. But the extra desert (to go with the zombie camels) that does also make zombies to boot. I took the Fan Bearer because I was nervous about the removal that I had but it's arguable that having a land that synergies really nicely in my deck is the stronger play. It's 50/50 I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment