Sunday, July 30, 2017

Draft Report: drafting a sealed deck!

This draft did not... did not go well you guys. It felt like I missed a signal very badly but going back it seems really well camouflaged. Pretty obvious in hindsight, just like it's easy to spot Waldo if you already know where to look.


Let's play along



http://draftsignals.com/draft/-KqEeFjbfIqe5sZT01nN



Pack 1

Pick 1
Riddleform Unquenchable Thirst Djeru, With Eyes Open Obelisk Spider

Yeesh, not an inspiring crack. Djeru is just 5 mana for a 4/3 vigilance which I would argue is below rate. I like Obelisk Spider just fine but not powerful enough where you force a gold card. So now we're between Endless Thirst and Riddleform. The Riddleform is quite powerful in the right deck (UR spells) and quite useless in most other places. The thirst is fine removal, especially in a control deck. I take the Riddleform.

Pick 2

Burning-Fist Minotaur Sandblast

Some other decent cards but these are the two that pop out. I like the Burning-Fist: great two-drop and great threat-of-activation ability. Sandblast is fine removal, not great in aggressive decks (as they still get the block in) but fine. I take the minotaur with dreams of UR spells.

Pick 3

River Hoopoe Inferno Jet Torment of Scarabs

The Hoopoe is a real good card but I'm pretty far from it. I remain underwhelmed by Torment of Scarabs. Torment of Hailfire yes is a real finisher but the slow scarabs...I'm not as sure. Inferno Jet is unquestionably a finisher. You got it!

Pick 4

Ominous Sphinx Khenra Scrapper

Easily the two best cards in the pack and I'm feeling real hopeful that UR is open!

Consign // Oblivion Unsummon Unconventional Tactics

Nice! I think it's an easy Unsummon for the UR spells. I note the Unconventional Tactics, that being a great reason to go zombies. But we are feeling on track!

Pick 6

Mummy Paramount Bitterbow Sharpshooters Inferno Jet Seer of the Last Tomorrow

I take a second inferno jet. Feels a little greedy, and I'm a bit concerned that there isn't a second playable red card in the pack. Also of note are the Sharpshooters and the Mummy. I need to learn more about the Seer but if I'm playing aggressive tempo deck, it's really not what I want.

Pick 7

Farm // Market Tragic Lesson

In my defense, I do arch an eyebrow (metaphorically. I can't arch for reals; I just look constipated when I try) at the Farm // Table. Pick 7 is late for very good removal. But Tragic Lesson is solid in UR spells and I just don't think this is enough to switch. I still feel on track.

Pick 13

Mummy Paramount Unconventional Tactics
If Farm was the hint, this is the 5 alarm bell going off. The last two cards in the pack and it's a choice 2-drop for BW zombies AND a build-around uncommon in the same deck! It's WIDE OPEN you guys. What hurts is that this would necessitate trashing an entire pack's worth of UR cards. But, if you click further, it's absolutely what I should have done. GAH

I'm not going to break down any further picks, it's just too painful watching me zigzag around Esper, hilariously unable to make up my mind. But here's what I could have had in my deck if I had the courage to completely forgo blue and just pick BW zombie cards:

Torment of Scarabs Shefet Dunes Sunscourge Champion Oketra's Monument Start // Finish In Oketra's Name

That's a much better deck you guys! As it is I'm running 17 lands and a Mardu splash for two Inferno Jets just so I can squeeze out 23 playables. Oy


This... is an 0-3 deck. I'm pleased if it gets 1-2 and if I scam my way to 2-1 I'll be stunned.


No comments:

Post a Comment