Friday, July 28, 2017

Match Report: Midrange B/G

As you may recall, I drafted a highly mediocre BG deck.


It's not egregious: it has a curve, some cycling high-end creatures, and some tolerable removal. I've definitely drafted/played worse decks. But it felt like it didn't really have any answer for a major high-end bomb. So how would it play out?


Round 1



Boring matchup against RB aggro. First game he got mana-screw, which slowed him down enough to allow me to land my fatties. Game two was somehow less interesting: I drop a turn four Colossapede and he doesn't really have a lot to answer that.

Round 2

(there was some weird recording error and I wanted to play Magic more than troubleshoot. So I did!)

I ran into a UG deck that was basically a better version of what I had.

River Hoopoe River Hoopoe Sifter Wurm Vizier of Many Faces

It also had decent ramp. In game one I got murdered by a Sifter Wurm followed by a copy of the Sifter Wurm, all being flung in the air at me via two Aerial Guides. Feels bad bro! The second game I snatched when I opted to be on the draw (a better choice against a fellow ramp deck I feel) and my opponent (who was friendly and chatty, always a pleasant surprise on MTGO) accidentally F6'd through his turn.

Game three was a lot of fun. I wore him down to about 6 life but he got BOTH of his Hoopoes out and enough mana to activate twice. That was enough to grind me out.

Round 3



Humiliating misplay at minute 7 where I casually skip  by the block step, putting me within inferno jet range. Fortunately I still manage to stabilize and win with a whole bunch of card advantage. I side-board out the Wander in Death, a grinding advantage is not what I need against RW, and put in a wall. Game-two I draw a dream hand, trade my durdly creatures against his durdly creatures, except at the end of the road I have a 5/5 sitting on the battlefield and he has nothing. Card value! I did like my last play of the game (~21:00) where I attacked with just a Greater Sandwurm and keep the shields up to guard against Trial of Solidarity alpha-striking me. When winning, it's important to also think of how you could lose and avoid those.

No comments:

Post a Comment