Sunday, July 23, 2017

BW Zombies Results and Commentary

Alright, just finished up all three rounds of play, "spoilers" after the jump.


Round 1


Round 2

Round 3



So let's discuss. Obviously I made just a *horrific* misplay in round 1 (skip to 13:30 to see the runup). I temporarily lose my mind drooling over the potential of the double In Oketra's Name not really remembering that there is a stone-cold out that my opponent could have.

Saving Grace
Oh yeah...
Crap. Then for reasons unknown, I still cast my first mini-charge pre-combat and then double-down and cast the second one to try and save my creatures. I just don't know what I was thinking. It does hurt to go back and watch I won't lie.

Round 2 was hot zombie-on-zombie action. Misplay in game one (~3:00), totally forgetting that I should have cast a zombie to get both of my zombies +1/+1. It looks like a regular camel you guys! I crush him when he was manascrewed on two lands. Game two was a little more of a real game of magic, he pulls ahead in the race. I was proud of reading the game-state right at about the 15:00 mark, taking the block to force the lifelink and then pulling a critical piece of removal.

Round 3 was against this bizarre mardu deck that was mostly zombies... and Glorybringer! Which is a heckuva splash needless to say and when I tripped on mana in game 1 (totally reasonable two-land keep on the draw just fyi) , it dealt the coupe de grace quite nicely. I swarmed him in game 2. Then an interesting moment in game 3.

Torment of Scarabs Torment of Scarabs

It's more of a TORMENTS of scarabs really. And I won't lie to you, 6 life a turn ticks really really fast. But it is two four-drops that don't provide any defense of any kind. And since my deck is basically designed to cast a creature every turn, I'm able to race it pretty well. I have about six outs but I still spend three minutes mulling my options (circa 17 minute mark).

All in all, I liked my deck. I got a little unlucky not getting any of the sweet HoD uncommons and I think I need to  put myself out there a little more with some cards that can break the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment