Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hearthstone Arena: Two recent break even decks

Welcome Back!!! Let's talk arena deck building. Today we have two decks a 7 win mage and a 9 win Shaman. I'm not really sure how different a 7 win deck is from a 9 win deck, or a 5 win deck for that matter. There is a lot of variance going on here. Anways I'm just going to review the decks and give them a general classification. I'm starting with Aggro, MidRange, and Control. I would say my default strategy for the arena is to play MidRange.Let's go!



This mage deck breaks down as follows:

Sweepers - 4
Big Fat Fatties - 3
Burn Spells - 9
One card answers - 1 (polymorph)

That looks as controlly to me as you are going to see in the arena. The molten giants play particularly well here. A few times I was able to go Blizzard + Molten Giant + Molten Giant. You do have to run your life total low to pull that off which can be a bit of an Icarus situation.
Overall I wasn't surprised this deck only managed 7 wins. I didn't play the best and it should have been at least 8 wins. Also there are a few clunkers in the deck (I'm lookin' at you Acolyte of Pain, even though I was able to draw more than one card off of you half the time I drew you).




Ok Shaman Time. First off I must acknowledge that this deck has some real clunkers. Elven Archer, Secret Keeper (you may remember me from a recent What's the Pick?), Raid Leader, Southsea Captain. Oh what could have been.
I also must mention a disastrous misplay that I made. I saved my coin and powered out a Venture Co. Merc on turn 4 .. against a paladin. I think we know what's coming.

The Coin+Venture Co. Mercenary(509).png = Aldor Peacekeeper(23).png

like 100% of the time. Now I've got a 1/6 and my dudes all cost an arm and a leg. What's funny is I almost came back to win, but he lit me up with a

Equality + Consecration(260).png

Gross! what is this? constructed?


Anyways back to the deck analysis.

Sweepers - 0
Big Fat Fatties - 7 (I'm counting Chilwind Yeti on curve considerations)
Burn Spells - 6
One card answers - 2 (hex)

Really the power of this deck was just getting to the fire elementals. Multiple times I durdled through the early game and then was left with a board like this

how do you lose from here?

I call this deck mid range. If not for that litany of shitty cards I think I could have made 12 wins.



Leave some comments.

2 comments: