Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Theros Draft Review and Deckbuilding

I drafted at Card Kingdom on Saturday. There was an added bonus because Marshall and Bryan were there. I didn't draft with them or play against them, maybe next time. Anyways I've only drafted Theros once before, I've watched some videos and read some blogs. But I'm still pretty raw at this format. It is going to be rough. I don't have the luxury of displaying every pick in full glory so I will just try to capture my impressions of the draft.

Well pack one pick one has a Curse of the Swine in it. I don't know if that card is really amazing but it says "Exile X target creatures" so I'm feeling it. My next pick was a Heliod's Emissary, aka Elmer

Curse of the Swine Heliod's Emissary
so far so good

 My next pick I honestly don't remember what I took. Pick 4 was a Phalanx Leader. This felt late to me so I snapped it up and started looking white. The next pick was a Dauntless Onslaught. It's on!

Phalanx Leader Dauntless Onslaught

I don't know what I'm doing in this format but it looks like I'm on my way to making a white heroic deck work. I've already got that blue spell so I'm leaning blue, but could be talked into something else. My next few packs are pretty empty and I snag a pair of Triton Fortune Hunter. I don't know about this guy. 2/2 for 3 is not where I want to be but it may be fine in the format. Certainly if half an Onslaught hits once or I can bestow on them, then I'm in like Flint. There isn't much more in this pack.

Pack two started off as good as possible.

Bident of Thassa

This card is obviously the nuts, right? I was feeling blue before and now I'm fully on board. We are white blue heroic. Which I think people say is a deck (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptths13/video5). So how does pack two follow up the Bident for me?

Wingsteed Rider Wingsteed Rider

Hell Yeah! This feels great! Let's make it happen. All I want to see now is a pile of those sweet bestow dudes. But I don't. The rest of the draft I saw very little that was exciting for me. It fell off pretty quick. I did manage to grab 2x last breath and 2x vanquish the foul putting me in a good sideboard position.

Anyways here's the deck I wound up with:


Main Deck - 23 spells / 17 lands - 9 Plains, 8 Islands

2 drop - Phalanx Leader, Vaporkin, Leonin Snarecaster
3 drop - 2x Wingsteed Rider, Wavecrash Triton, 2x Triton Fortune Hunter, Opaline Unicorn, Lagonna-Band Elder
4 drop - Elmer, Breaching Hippocamp, Anvilwrought Raptor
5 drop - Prescient Chimera

Spells: 
  • Removal: Curse of the Swine, Vanquish the Foul
  • Enabler: 2x Dauntless Onslaught, 2x Battlewise Valor, Fate Foretold, Aqueous Form
  • Awesome: Bident of Thassa

Sideboard: Battlewise Valor, Vanquish the Foul, Crackling Triton, Silent Artisan, Gods Willing, Decorated Griffin, Ray of Dissolution, Flamecast Wheel, 2x Last Breath


Now let's go take a look a the deck techs about the White Blue Heroic deck and see what I hit and what I missed. I found a video deck tech from PT Dublin with Sam Black

"The games in this format are often racy" ~ Sam Black. Yeah I totally didn't know that. I think my curve was fine, but needed more in the 2 slot (I'm still used to M14 style).

Hoplites: Favored and Battlewise. I know I didn't see the Battlewise. I probably missed a Favored somewhere but i don't remember seeing one.

Bestow:

Hopeful Eidolon Observant Alseid Nimbus Naiad 

I got none of these bestow guys. I feel like they are critical. Especially the lifelink guy given my deck. I'm sure I had the opportunity to pick them and chose something else instead.

Enchantments: Ordeal of Heliod and Chosen of Heliod. I had neither of these. I had an interesting pick between Fate Fortold or Chosen of Heliod

Chosen by Heliod or Fate Foretold

I think in heroic these are both where you want to be. I picked the blue on and wish I had picked the white one. The butt plus is huge. The Fate Foretold death trigger just didn't feel as good. They both influence combat but I really needed my dudes to get bigger, I was totally missing out on size so the bonus from Heliod would have been greatly appreciated.

Bounce: I had no bounce! Oops. I actually didn't see much and can't remember what I picked over it but I really could have used a grip tide, or a sea god's revenge (that one is a little greedy).

~"My plan was to play some early guys and bestow on turn 5."

He played 13 creatures, I played 14 creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment