Sunday, November 3, 2013

FNM at Card Kingom - Rounds 3 and 4

I started live blogging the FNM from Card Kingdom because there was some extra time between rounds. However when I got home after the tournament I was a bad game and didn't report. It is time to correct that error.

Round 3: This round my opponent was rocking the Naya Control list that I love so much. I think this is a disastrous matchup for me. Anyway in game one I was on the draw and didn't have a super fast start. He Avenged the Gods early and then made a turn 6 Elspeth and just cranked out dudes for the rest of the game.

Anger of the Gods Elspeth, Sun's Champion

I really don't have a plan for that. Oh wait I do. The score was 18-7 and my opponent was tapped out and had nothing but 3 1/1 dorks on the field. I had a few dudes in play and one was a 5/5 Voice token. I needed either a Selesnya Charm or an Ajani. Didn't get one. Next turn same thing, didn't get one. You get the idea. Oh and I could have gotten an Advent. Basically I needed my trample but didn't see it.

Game two I'm on the play and start firing. I get him down to 2 and then he stabilizes. It was the exact same situation as last game. I had 12 outs in my deck and never got to them. Maybe I could have boarded differently I don't know. L 0-2 (1-2)

Round 4: Ok this round is for all the marbles (aka 1 pack). My opponent is on the play and double mulligans. That game was quick. He did manage a Supreme Verdict on turn 4 so it took a little longer than anticipated. His lands however didn't indicate Esper of UW control. He was playing green. I had no idea what was going on with this deck. So I brought in my standard package against control. The miscutter hydra and rootborn defenses.

Mistcutter Hydra Rootborn Defenses

Game two it was my turn to mull to 5. Both decisions were pretty easy, I had one land. My third hand also was one land but at this point it seemed best to roll with it. I lost hard. Turns out he wasn't really a control deck. He dropped a Smiter and a Voice. Anyways let's move to game 3, aka the one where neither of us mulled.

Round 4, Game 3, between two 1-2 players. The loser goes home with nothing. The winner goes home with a pack. You are still a loser but at least you have something.  I had a sick nasty 7 and decided to keep.
Turn 1: Elvish Mystic 18-20 ( i shocked my self). Turn 2: Smiter. Turn 3: Ajani - 18-12. Her responded with a detention sphere on the smiter. Turn 4: I +1 Ajani on the mystic and get in for 2 18-10, also I drop an expt 1. Turn 5 I bash him down to 5 and leave my mana up. He wraths on his turn and I flash in a Boom Satyr. That's all she wrote. W 2-2 (2-2)

Boon Satyr 


Recap: I'm obviously disappointed. I feel like anything less than 3-1 is just bad. Was my deck good enough to do better, probably. But my two losses were to bad matchups (or so I believe). I was 2-0 against decks with Supreme Verdict in them, which was the goal. Maybe I just need to only play against those decks. It seemed that Naya Control was pretty popular at the tournament so I'm going to have to think about my board against them before next time. Also I want to work a couple Gods Willing into the deck. The occasional counterspell for W is good but it also gives a way to push damage through via protection. Could be what I need. In the games I lost I was pretty close to the win just needing trample or evasion to do it so adding a little more is probably good. I think the mana base was fine. I didn't see much from Mutavault, maybe I should work a second one in.

No comments:

Post a Comment