Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Theros Draft at Card Kingdom: Match Reports

Ok, you've waited to hear how the Blue White deck fared. Well you have wait a little longer. I got a round one bye.

Round 1: Bye W 2-0 (1-0)

Round 2: This round was pretty interesting. No one had any mana troubles and there were no mulligans. Game one started off well for me. My opponent got down an early Shipwreck Singer and felt invincible. I responded by dropping a dork.

Shipwreck Singer v Opaline Unicorn

I thought I was telegraphing that I had a combat trick or something when I didn't use my unicorn the next turn. Buy my opponent went for it and forced the unicorn to attack, blocked it, and gave it -1/-1. So I pumped it with a trick and moved into solid control of the game. I was cruising and dropped some dudes and then on turn 6  he got his revenge.

Sea God's Revenge

Fortunately that early blowout put me ahead so I was able to withstand and rebuild. It was close in the end but I had a couple flyers that he couldn't handle.

Game two got off to a racy start as Sam Back said they tend to. This time however I was on the draw and didn't get an early blowout so the turn 6 Sea God's Revenge was back breaking. I couldn't recover from that.

Game three was rough. He got down a two drop, then suited it up with and ordeal and got in two swings. Then I got my Vanquish and removed it before he could sac the ordeal. However my opponent then dropped mama gorgon, what a haymaker now that my Vanquish was gone.

Hythonia the Cruel meet Curse of the Swine

I was doing ok but stalled out on 5 lands. I couldn't get to my Thassa's Bounty (which was my plan). My opponent was ahead from that early damage and I eventually fell to the pressure. L 1-2 (1-1)

I checked back later and my opponent was into round 4 with a 3-0 record. I didn't catch him afterward to find out if he 4-0ed it.

Round 3: This opponent was one of my favorites. He was a nice dude named Ed and was here with his son. But I think Ed is pretty into the game. Game one was EPIC. Ed dropped a Foil Polukranos on turn 5. So I responded with a turn 6 Vanquish the Foul.

Polukranos, World Eater meet Vanquish the Foul
                        you just gotta imagine it's foil

However Ed was prepared and informed my Vanquish that the gods were not willing.

Gods Willing

The pressure of polukranos and friends brought me all the way down to 2, but during that time I started clawing my way back and assembled a small army, lead by a Phalanx Leader. The Polukranos had been monstrousized and enchanted by this point so I was facing down a 9/9. But I gang blocked and then dropped a Dauntless Onslaught to bring it down. But I was now in control.

Phalanx Leader

I targeted my phalanx and picked up a host of +1/+1 counters. I had lethal on the board and he couldn't stop me. But I had been under so much pressure I didn't see it. I killed him next turn with my horde but that is no excuse. I really should have seen the kill.

Game two was tight. There was some back and forth early and and was down to 13 while my opponent was at 18 (being on the play was good to him). Then I finally drew my Bident.

Bident of Thassa

Man had I been waiting to see this guy. I was still under some pressure but I was able to sneak in every turn with a flyer and the extra cards were enough to get me there.   W 2-0 (2-1)

Round 4: Allright, here we go. Win this round and I'm feeling good. Game one was sweet. I was on the play and curved out nicely. Two drop, Wingsteed Rider, Triton Fortune hunger, Dauntless Onslaught. That was brutal and my opponent didn't get any removal. It was never close.

At this point I was flying high. I had an easy win and was feeling good. Then I caught a run of the mulligans. I did a total of four damage over the next two games. I had a plan in game 2 when I was at 3 and he was at 20. I had almost stabilized and made a window to resolve my Thassa's Bounty, but he stymied those hopes.


Thassa's Bounty meet Stymied Hopes


I had to scramble but I managed a back up plan, which involved a combat trick on my Triton Fortune Hunter to draw some extra cards. That also got Stymied. Seriously who plays two stymied hopes? Anyways let's move to game three.

Mulligan, Mulligan, keep a 1 lander. Yeah I didn't draw well and really had no chance that game. I did win a game where I mulled to 5 in FNM but for this game I was on the play and just was too far behind. L 1-2 (2-2)


Well that was a kick in the balls. Halfway through the draft I was flying high. But the last pack fell pretty short for me. I was hopeful but my deck just was missing something that I think a couple bestow dudes and a bounce spell would have helped with. Well, I'll just have to get em next time.

1 comment: