Sunday, September 25, 2016

Kaladesh Pre-Release Report 9-24-16

Ahhh, time for some day-drinking and pre-release magic cards. The two go well together as higher variance play when under the influence doesn't matter as much when not one not two but THREE people crack Chandra.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Need cards, mana, or to make something dead? Chandra has a solution

Amusingly, for a set with a bunch of cool moving pieces and tons of fun build-around cards, I had the world's most boring, LR-approved deck. 17 lands, 7 spells, 16 creatures. Some removal, some tricks, some fixing. basically it was designed to be thoroughly average but be spectacularly consistent at doing so. Is that enough to bring home victory to my long suffering wife?!




What feels like my 12th B/G deck in a row

Summarized

Honestly, it went pretty well! The really surprising part was how much I won through the air. Generally speaking, not a lot of air defenses (or a lot of missed 2/3 drops as people got greedy) so I would get a little early pressure in and then switch to the skies to finish. Which felt *really weird* in B/G but hey, we'll take it. Went 2-0 beating R/G decks that I should have beaten pretty handily only to bump into Micah in the finals piloting another R/G deck but he really knew what he was doing. But he also has this:

Voltaic Brawler
Definitely filling a gap in R/G. FML

So yeah... that thing murdered me in a game and eventually fell in the second to his onslaught.

MVP

Aetherborn Marauder
Also solid flavor text

The guy is a one-man win condition. Use Fabricate to have a +1/+1 counter early and then force your opponent to deal with a 3/3 lifelinker. Enjoy your evasive threat granting you life and draining theirs. Just good times all around.

This looks like a fun set. The energy mechanic (that I basically ignored in my deck) and the Vehicles both provide great wrinkles. I think it will be interesting to draft because you'll need to balance both sides of the equation. Sources of energy & uses of energy. Killer vehicles and ways to crew em. I'm looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment