Friday, October 18, 2013

Theros Limited: Sealed Deck Decisions

Theros debuted on Magic Online not that long ago and you know I've been playing some limited when I've had the chance. In fact, playing has really eaten into the time I've had to write about my experiences.

I haven't been playing that well, but I feel like my decks have been pretty decent. Today, I'l let you decide. I'l share two sealed pools as well as my first Theros draft.

The first event was a pre-release sealed where I chose black. Yes, I know the online pre-releases are terrible value, but when you get the itch something has to give, you know? Plus, in the first weekend the higher singles values make up for some of the lost value, right?

I chose the black seed pack and paid my $25 entry. Here is the pool:

Cards I want to play are sorted out up top. Yes, I pulled a Thoughtseize and a mythic god.

The way I saw it, there were three viable decks, each two of the three Esper colors:

Azorius felt like the worst of the three 
I was sorely tempted by the two gold cards to try control Orzhov. 
But in the end I went with Dimir fliers and control.
The final decklist looked like this:
Super control with so many fliers
I went 3-1, losing in game three of the finals to Erebos's Whip that I just couldn't quite race with my harpy army.

After taking a week off for someone's wedding, I got back in the swing of things with another sealed event:
More balanced, with no seed pack of one color.
Once again I was pulled toward Dimir, but I resisted due to too much reliance on the five-drop slot and not enough synergies with my heroic guys.


Instead, I went forward with a blue-white heroic model that had several quick heroes, plenty of ways to trigger them and a sweet-looking curve.

Notice I pulled another Thoughtseize, which helped to make up for the fact that I only 2-2'd losing hard to some green fatties and beating the guy who timed out and never showed up.

Next time, we'll jump into my first online Theros draft.

1 comment: