Thursday, October 31, 2013

Standard Deck Tech - GW Aggro

Well I have 4 voice of resurgence so I guess I should throw together a GW deck. I was intrigued by Brad Nelson's Naya Control Deck but I am a question asker not an answerer. So aggro it is. Taking a look at the meta it appears that the world is moving pretty slow right now so I'm going to go for as explosive as possible.

Elvish Mystic into Loxodon Smiter

I need a little more in the one slot so we also pick up the set of Experiment One which plays rather nicely with the voice tokens.

Experiment One Voice of Resurgence

We need a little more at the two slot so we also have some mixture of Scavenging Ooze and Fleecemane Lion. I'm not sure what ratio to go with here.

Scavenging Ooze Fleecemane Lion

Finishing off our permanents we have my favorite finisher / control hoser in the format ... Ajani

Ajani, Caller of the Pride

His -3 ability is absolutely nuts. Especially when used in concert with

Advent of the Wurm Thundermaw Hellkite
5/5 flying trample double strike, not a bad impression of Thundermaw!

Finally we have a few instants that really make the deck sing:

Selesnya Charm Boon Satyr
I just had to stick a Theros card in.

And that's the deck. Basically everything is a four of except for Ooze/Lion slot. I'm playing 23 lands and clearly the mana base needs some tweaking. I really like how the deck can get a couple threats down early and then just go into reactive mode by playing Charms and Advents and Boom Satyrs!

Against esper: watch out for wrath, but expt 1 and voice are good against that plus as craig wescoe says

For example, they cast Verdict; we regenerate Experiment One, make a Voice of Resurgence token, make a Selesnya Charm knight in response, then untap and cast Mistcutter Hydra, wrecking the opponent. Even if all these things don't line up, some combination of them lining up will often be enough to win the game. Hence I decided to move the Rootborn Defenses to the board. Advent of the Wurm can also fill into the Verdict equation.
I've got the Mistcutters in the board.

Against MonoBlack: I'm not quite sure how to play here. They have a bunch of targeted removal so I'm tempted to side in 4 Gods Willing. Also they have some annoying flyers in the 6/6 demon for 4 and the Nightvale specter so I may dabble with a few plummet!

Gods Willing Plummet

Against Aggro: Right now I'm feeling some Unflinching Courage and perhaps Centaur Healer.

That's all for now. I'll be taking this pile to FNM tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Decklist:
4x elvish mystic
4x experiment one

4x voice of resurgence
3x scavenging ooze
2x fleecemane lion
4x selesnya charm

4x boom satyr
4x loxodon smiter

4x advent of the wurm

4x ajani

23 lands - 1 mutavault, 4 temple garden, 9 forest, 9 plains

No comments:

Post a Comment