Monday, March 20, 2017

Modern Masters Draft: V-card punched

Survived my first ever modern masters draft at the Gamma Ray. They were gentle to me in my first time, though Margo couldn't contain herself with several exclamations of "Really?!" and "Thank YOU". I definitely had no idea what, if anything I was or was not passing. I just bunkered down and tried to find cards I could cast.



I crack open a dragon and very arbitrarily try to stay in those colors. I can't really read signals so I just try to fight for some playable cards in those colors. Blue seemed kinda open but I mostly just sat there and didn't like my cards


Reversed again, Mogg was first
Pack 2 had a lot more red flowing my way, so I fill out some removal and generally feel a lot better about life. Pack 3 I made a hilarious mistake

Primal Command

I opened that card. It was in my colors! But I hadn't done a lot of thinking and it didn't seem THAT good. Now, looking back on it, completely crushing graveyard decks (definitely relevant), finding a great creature, blanking them on a draw step, and/or just gaining life is probably better than a two drop. Good to know!

I put together a deck that basically has zero synergies whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, it's modern masters, there are some delicious cards
Mizzium Mortars Broodmate Dragon Wort, the Raidmother


Despite being a relative pile, I go a *thoroughly* undeserved 2-1. I eke out a pair of 2-1 victories over some very good decks, where my two wins were by a hair's breadth and my loss was a pounding. I face off against Margo in the finals where she absolutely pummels me with a slick UB graveyard recursion.

So let's talk Modern Masters. It's pretty clearly an allied synergy deck with lots of splash potential to go into a shard. Each color has a base mechanic that pairs differently on either side. For example, green is king of the token creatures of all shapes and sizes. Except with white it's a populate deck with the big tokens while with red it does more of the conspire action with wee little tokens. So here's what I saw:


Draw cards
Graveyard
Tokens
Aggro & removal
ETBs

So each two-color pairing has mechanics like as follows:

 Flicker ETB
Self-mill to graveyard
Aristocrats value sacrifice
Aggro hand-dump, go-wide
Populate tokens

With so much fixing, you can easily grab splash and really flesh it out. Golgari has some sweet sacrifice synergies, full Esper (WUB) goes a lot heavier on the control aspect with the WB options.

More on this later. I think I might be addicted to this format though. So many synergies!




No comments:

Post a Comment