Saturday, March 19, 2016

Let's build a sealed deck!

Wizards came up with a pretty clever idea: a sealed league. Instead of having to block out 3-4 hours to do a draft, you can sign up for a pack of sealed and play 5 games any time you want. You can binge 5 in a row, or obsessively deckbuild for hours in-between games. Pretty clever!

Before we rip into virtual packs, let's review the basics of sealed

1) The decks are dominated by rare-bombs. So PLAY THEM.
2) As such, removal (always good) is even better and good counterspells become playable
3) Look to your gold cards for guides. They're often like mini-bombs.
4) Splash splash as you can.

 So let's take a look at my pool. (click to embiggen)


Bombs/Unconditional Removal

 


(while not a bomb per se, this is a VERY GOOD card that can function as a win condition)

Cards that pull me into the color (B range)

 
The cleric is surprisingly flexible and a great role player. Sheer Drop is decent-enough removal



 

Good body, great inevitability. And there's two of them!

 

My green is lol.

Golds

   

Jori-En is a great card but needs a deck drafted around her. Resolute Blademaster's home is in an aggro deck, not exactly what I have here. The Roil Spot is great, borderline removal with upside. The Mindmelter is also somewhat interesting since it brings pretty solid inevitability along with a hilarious lockdown.

It's pretty clear looking at my pool that my core is between white, blue, and black with a looming question of colorless. White is a no-brainer choice, with both of my bombs (one requiring colorless) and a solid smattering of creatures.

Creatures
       

Removal/Other Spells

     

That's 8 solid playable creatures and 6 good spells. Also of note, the four Awaken spells. Let's take a brief look at our artifacts.

    

Wow! Three Seer's Lanterns. That's probably one to two more than I would want to play, but not bad! Also the Blight Herder is a perfectly acceptable 5 for 4/5 body. It's safe to assume that we'll play with three artifacts (probably two Seer's Lanterns for colorless and a Blight Herder) so we're looking for 5-6 playables in the other colors.

Blue

      

Nets me two solid little creatures, an additional source of colorless mana, and some hilarious control. Oh and a Roil Spout, better than a poke in the eye by any means.

Black

   

And the black adds some great high end and inevitability. White has four allies so that's pretty functional.

My gut feel is that black increases the ceiling but also isn't as reliable. Blue adds a source of colorless and some good power cards. My sources of colorless are VERY weak (2 wastes) so to power the blinding drone and displacer, I think I'm better off with seer's lanterns as much as possible. As much as I want to splash, I don't have the tools to do so (no Crumbling Vestige, Holdout Settlement, Evolving Wilds, etc.) It would be sweet to tuck in the Essence Depleter and/or Mindmelter, but I don't think I can. Keep it simple: lots of white removal and finish them in the skies

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment