Thursday, February 8, 2018

2/5 Draft: RG Dinos

In classic fashion, I listened to the chunk of LR where Luis described how he really liked any combination of Esper colors. I then paused, jazzed to draft, drafted RG (carefully avoiding said shard) *then* listened to the rest of the episode where he described how to draft RG dinos, the other combo he liked. Sigh.

Draft




Pack 1 Pick 1

   

Well that's not the most inspiring pack to crack. I think the Griffin has the higher ceiling, but going gold P1p1 is not ideal. I talk myself into the Radiant Destiny but upon review, that's kind of a gold card as well since it's only really great in Vampires. Meh.

Pick 2


   

Not the greatest spread here either. Unplayable rare, very bad blue card, conditional removal and a decent-ish Harpy. I've always liked the Harpy more than most, since the floor isn't that bad and the ceiling is pretty high as it can win games in a hurry.

Pick 3

  

Wow, a second Daring Buccaneer. But more to the point the Crested Herdcaller is very very good. Seeing that pick 3 is moderately signal-ish as there aren't a ton of green cards significantly better than it. 

Honestly from that, the draft was very straight forward as the RG dinos just flowed. I probably should have speculated on the trapjaw tyrant, since it was highly likely that the Regisaur Beta would have wheeled around. But the double-white is so prohibitive and I literally had zero fixing, I thought it was the safer play to take the card I knew I was going to play. I think I screwed up P3p7, taking the good sideboard card (enchantment hate is pretty handy in this format) over the Colossal Dreadmaw. With the ramp I had, I could have used another good card to ramp into. 

Deck


This feels pretty good! I think Rivals is still sufficiently quick that I want 5x two-drops. I like Mutiny (especially against the quick decks) and I'm moderately pleased with the ramp, the removal, and the payoffs. This feels like a good, predictable 2-1 deck.


Gameplay




Well... that wasn't 2-1. I faced some good decks with good bombs that were (hilariously) out of range of hunt the weak. Unlucky a bit in round 1, getting manascrewed when I kept a perfectly cromulent 2-land hand and then had my deck just betray me. Still, I feel like I found my seat and drafted the right deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment