Sunday, June 4, 2017

MTGO: Draft 6-4-17, Veering wildly across many lanes of traffic

Hoo boy, this was a pretty interesting draft. Interesting in what anybody thinks.
http://draftsignals.com/draft/-Klo-g3Bb33J_PLE_m2t

Pack One

P1
Decimator Beetle Scattered Groves Trial of Solidarity Gust Walker


Dual-land is not the rare you want to open. Decimator Beetle has serious power but is gold. Trial went from under-rated to overrated to possible just rated. Gust Walker is a good two-drop. I hemmed on this one and decided that the potential ceiling on the Decimator Beetle is high enough where it's worth a shot.

P2
Spring // Mind Rags // Riches Hooded Brawler

Well this is also uninspiring. I go with Hoody-B as a solid quality common.

P3
Emberhorn Minotaur Horror of the Broken Lands Binding Mummy Soulstinger

Not getting much better. I take the Emberhorn to "stay open". This is the first big question mark of my choices.

P7
Shed Weakness Giant Spider Spidery Grasp

This is an interesting one. I like Shed Weakness as a trick more than Spidery: better value for the money. I probably should have taken the Giant Spider for some anti-air defense. Given how I never saw another spider and saw plenty of tricks, that's a lesson learned.

I finish pack one scooping a lot of fairly decent blue cards (hekma sentinels, Naga oracle). So for those keeping score at home, I've drafted everything but white. Green is probably the closest to a core color.

Pack Two

Glyph Keeper Ruthless Sniper Electrify Bitterblade Warrior

Well that isn't doing much for clarity. I figure the bomb-ish nature of the Glyph Keeper is worth the speculation.

Fortunately the rest of pack two really helps me get some clarity. I snag back to back Trials in green and black and never really look back. There are some moments in red where I pause: a Sweltering Suns, P2p6 Trueheart Twins. But I stick to my convictions.

Pack three seemed very straightforward. Two Cartouches are snapped up for my trials. I don't really see any Quarry Haulers or similar high end, so I end up with some of those 4/2 Viziers.


Feels like I eventually found my seat though the card quality seems a little meh.

1 comment:

  1. pack one pick seven: I agree with your post game assessment. in the seventh pick creatures are preferred to tricks because you can get tricks later in the pack.

    ReplyDelete