Friday, June 2, 2017

MTGO Draft 5-28-17

Well you know I've caught the bug when I'm drafting online again. I really do love the leagues. I know everybody says that. But I really love the leagues.

Here's the draft! Feel free to take a look now or check out
http://draftsignals.com/draft/-KlLfoTTW-coFbKqYOSz


Interesting Picks

Pack One

Pick 1
Mouth // Feed Cast Out Decimator Beetle

Mouth to Feed is a perfectly solid value play and Decimator Beetle is pretty much the reason to be in Black/Green, but neither really hold a candle to the instant-speed, nearly unconditional removal of cast out.



Pick 4
Wayward Servant Fan Bearer
This is an interesting pick. I'm mono-white so far and Fan Bearer is great. I also already have one and there is a very real cap on how many you want to have. I speculate on the Wayward Servant, a great sign that the zombie deck is open.

Pick 6
Compulsory Rest
Wow, that's a late Compulsory Rest. Pretty good sign that white is open in this seat. Feeling good!

Pick 10
Sparring Mummy Minotaur Sureshot
So, I think I lost my mind on this pick. I was starting to panic that I only had three creatures (and tbh Fan Bearer doesn't really count). Maybe I was meant to be in the R/W go-wide? There's no reason why I shouldn't stay on my mono-color and take the sparring mummy.

Pack Two

Pick 1
Seraph of the Suns Bone Picker
I like the Seraph but this doesn't feel like the deck for it. Bone Picker provides almost the same aerial clock to break a stalemate (something the BW deck specializes in frankly) and is a lot more flexible and castable.

Pick 2
Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun Festering Mummy Djeru's Resolve
Those are not powerful white or black cards. Pretty weak actually. I'm not that far in black (Just the bone picker and the wayward servant really) and this miiiight be worth speculating. This DOES distract me down the line.

Pick 3
Lord of the Accursed
This is where I should have said, out loud, "I am in black and white"

Pack Three

Splendid Agony Grim Strider
A semi-interesting choice, but the efficient removal is too tempting and without any discard engines I don't think Grim Strider is nearly good enough.

Pick 3
Impeccable Timing Shimmerscale Drake

Uhhh, I take the drake? Listen, Impeccable isn't great but it's pretty decent in this set. Stop being distracted by Temmet and his cheerful smile!


Eventually I hone in on this:


Card quality is pretty good overall. 8 zombies to feed the Wayward Servant (11 if you count the Anointer Priest and Cradle of the Accursed) Solid removal and maybe a win condition of a flier or three after I gum up the ground.

Results

I went 2-1, losing eventually in the "finals"! Honestly, the deck performed pretty well. I won against a mirror match with literally the same cards except he also had a Gideon. Some GREAT matches against RG that I pulled out. I lost to a pretty brutal RB aggro deck.

Merciless Javelineer Pitiless Vizier

This is a brutal combo. Place a token, a creature can't block, and your 4/2 can go smashing in with impunity. I had almost stabilized with a flier and a fan bearer, but it proved to be too much. 


1 comment:

  1. great post. lots to discuss but let's focus on pack 3 pick 3. i have limited experience with this set so feel free to reply with "but that never happens".

    i evaluate impeccable timing as efficient conditional removal. i agree that it's not great. but from what i've seen there is a lot of creature on creature combat. so this should be on often.

    there is the question as to what the critical toughness point is. if you tell me everything that matters in this set has 4 toughness then i downgrade the card dramatically.

    maybe i misread the post but are we in blue? I got nothing against the drake i just think we're in the wrong place to go against on color removal.

    ReplyDelete