Sunday, January 1, 2017

MODO: Milk was a bad choice

A messy, potentially educational draft on Modo. This might be a case where I spent a little TOO long being open, rather than forcing my will.

Draft: http://draftsignals.com/draft/-KZFMs9zIvf_qF5C4-SJ
Reddit Thread (LR cast members had some great feedback): https://www.reddit.com/r/lrcast/comments/5iyszf/milk_was_a_bad_choice_wobbly_ub_draft/

Pack 1

Pick 1

Skywhaler's Shot Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter Restoration Gearsmith

Interesting pack 1: great removal, Oviya, or everyone's favorite card advantage. I take Oviya because she is perilously close to a quadrant theory all-star.

Pick 2

Padeem, Consul of Innovation Hunt the Weak
Now HERE is an interesting question. A pretty good card in the same color as Pick 1 or a very good card in a wildly different color? I like to stay super-duper open in my first few picks so I go straight value with Padeem. But there is definitely an argument to be made for Hunt the Weak.

Pack 1 ends up messy. I take a pick 4 Eliminate the Competition and pick 6 Midnight Oil, seeing that as a pretty reasonable sign that black is open. Green also dries up pretty badly. However, I'm pretty low on playable creatures.

Pack 2, aka loosing my nerve

Peema Outrider Riparian Tiger Maulfist Squad 

Well that feels pretty bad. I take the maulfist squad, grudgingly.


Pick 2

Architect of the Untamed Underhanded Designs Attune with Aether Aetherborn Marauder
Steady on... steady on. I don't think this will be the marauder deck so I take the removal-ish Underhanded Designs. Remember, green was cut very badly in pack 1.

 Thriving Rhino Wild Wanderer Experimental Aviator
OH COME ON. Stop it with the good green. Maybe I should have cut in pack 2? Moved in hard? I take the Aviator. Surely there will be a Gearseeker serpent around here somewhere?

Prakhata Pillar-Bug Servant of the Conduit Select for Inspection
I finally snap, taking the Servant. I was weak. Naturally, that's also the absolute last green card I see in the rest of the draft. Of course with pack three, there's no green to be found. I build a U/B artifacts deck with questionable life choices.


So what was the price for veering from forcing green. Assume that all card picks stayed exactly the same:

In

Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter Hunt the Weak Wildest Dreams Attune with Aether Peema Outrider Architect of the Untamed Servant of the Conduit Thriving Rhino Durable Handicraft

Out


Padeem, Consul of Innovation Glint-Nest Crane Maulfist Squad Underhanded Designs Experimental Aviator

Man, that's a MUCH better looking deck. Decent splashing options so I sitll probably run three colors. Lesson learned: don't be afraid to have the courage of your convictions. Especially in pack 2 in a color famous for its mana fixing.



No comments:

Post a Comment