Saturday, January 21, 2017

Aether Revolt! Draft Report

Some days there's a choice between making your voice heard in this nation... and cracking some packs! Aether Revolt woooooo! After all, the political revolt against Trump can wait a day or two for some sweet sweet packs. Let's see what we got here.


Pack 1




Really interesting first few picks. I'm lucky enough to open an artifact bomb. The Harvester is the new Smuggler's Copter! Except it gives you lots of life and blocks for days. I am in. I veer around a little in the first few picks, speculating on a Spire Patrol (probably unwise) and taking some decent removal. I was pleasantly surprised by the fixing with Unbridled Growth as well as the white removal. I'm feeling confident about the black and unsure about the rest.

Pack 2


I like the Cruel Finality, half-combat trick and half removal and semi-replaces itself. I LOVE seeing teh Winding Constrictor, that cements me. Unfortunately it feels like I get cut a little, with no good green or white or black. Blah.

Pack 3

And we're back in business in the familiar land of Kaladesh. I'm agog by the back to back white removal in P3p4 and P3p5. The pack starts to lighten up but I snag another Aether Hub and a big vehicle. So let's see what we got here.

Deck


I have to say, I loved this deck. It felt like really smart construction: rewarding flexibility with fixing to have some great removal. So this deck feels like a durdler with some great removal and great high end.

Biggest Surprise

Unbridled Growth
This card is great you guys. It provides fixing (not ramp or smoothing like Attune with Aether) so it's like Prophetic Prism in that sense. However it also provides *great* Revolt enablers. Zero mana, at will. If you're in green (and the other revolt colors, B or W) snag these when you see them.

MVP

Glint-Sleeve Siphoner

2/1 menace for 2 is just a stone-cold C+ to begin with. Add to that being both a source AND usage of energy for card advantage, and this little guy can run away with the game in a hurry. It paired pretty nicely with my suite of removal and did a lot of good work. Pick it early, it's worth going to war with.

Draft

Bearded Guy
Scott
Your Hero, Jed()
Jesse
Cameron
Michael
Lily
Elliot

So, I mostly found my lane. U/R was passing to me Packs 1 & 3, so GBW was clearly where to be. Makes sense how W/G were cut by Scott coming back to me (he was forcing Oath of Ajani) Blue was open at the table, but it sure didn't *feel* that open. Overall, I like where I was at.

Finished 2-1, losing to Michael's GW deck in the finals. He had the ridiculous artifact sweeper that twice blew me out taking out my bombs. One time I steamrolled him but it wasn't enough when I stumbled just enough. Still, felt good. The deck felt like a reliable 2-1 with a shot at 3-0. That's where I landed.



No comments:

Post a Comment