Thursday, December 15, 2016

MODO Draft 12-12-16

Online draft in the draft leagues! Let's leap right in.

Draft Link

Pack 1

Animation Module Hunt the Weak Embraal Bruiser Prophetic Prism

Pretty easy pick 1: animation module goes almost anywhere with any deck (fabrication, Thriving, etc.) Hunt the Weak is perfectly acceptable removal, though a bit conditional, and Embraal Bruiser needs the aggressive black deck. The Prism is fine fixing, but definitely not what I want to be doing with P1P1.



Pick 2

Hunt the Weak Harnessed Lightning Servant of the Conduit Blooming Marsh

Feels similar to above with removal and fixing. I really like Servant of the Conduit, it can be one of the best cards in the Temur energy deck. But I like blasting creatures more. I take Harnessed Lightning.

Pick 3

Panharmonicon Long-Finned Skywhale Thriving Grubs

What the? I mean, sure I'll speculate on Panharmonicon. Don't have to twist my arm.

Pick 4

Inventor's Goggles Thriving Rats Chandra's Pyrohelix Engineered Might

Pretty uninspiring. I probably should have taken the goggles or Pyrohelix given how I had a red ard (and the helix is... fine) or stayed open. I take the Thriving Rats for reasons not entirely clear to me.

Pick 5

Spireside Infiltrator Fateful Showdown Built to Smash Eager Construct

I consider this pack to be my first "signal". Fateful Showdown isn't a bomb by any stretch, but it can be a powerful situational card mixing removal and refreshing a stale hand. A below average case would be 4 mana to deal two damage and loot two lands. I'd pay that.

The rest of the pack goes very straightforward, with nearly a straight playset of Thriving Grubs (two drops are valuable!) an

Pack 2

Weldfast Monitor Glint-Sleeve Artisan Aethertorch Renegade Start Your Engines Inventors' Fair

I'm not sure if there even is an Inventor's Fair deck (B/U control artifacts?) but what I have isn't it. Start Your Engines just isn't that great and I have zero vehicles. Aethertorch is fine but the wrong kind of three drop. So it's between the Weldfast Monitor and the Glint-Sleeve. both fine three-drops. I get greedy and go with the Glint, hoping that the white (which was SO EMPTY being passed to me) might be wide open coming back to the right.

Spoiler: it didn't work. But I wonder if it was worth the risk?

The rest of the pack is pretty straightforward with just good artifacts and red cards until I see a Fretwork Colony at P2P7. Black as a second color it is!

Pack 3

Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
Yeah okay, sometimes you get lucky.

Mistakes

P1P4: As mentioned, the Thriving Rats shouldn't be the pick here. Either the universal C of Inventor's Goggles or a second piece of decent/mediocre-ish red removal is a better pick.
P2P5: Reckless Fireweaver is just not the 2-drop I want, especially with an Eager Construct RIGHT THERE.
P3P4: Yet another Reckless Fireweaver! I think the Syndicate Trafficker is a better pick here. I shied away from it because it really needs servos to eat to shine, but even barring ANY servos, it's still a 3/1 vanilla. Better than a 1/3!
P3P7: I probably should have grabbed a fifth (!) grubs instead of a fifth 4-drop. I might have been over-counting my lame Reckless Fireweavers as 2-drops I wanted to run.

Draft: http://draftsignals.com/draft/-KYqSo3XRZsg5uDsi2UX

Deck



I'm cautiously enthusiastic about this deck. Curves out nice creature-wise: 7x 2-drop, 4x 3-drop, 4x 4-drop. One good trick, 2 good pieces of removal, some strong vehicles and a Treason finisher. I wish I had another good three drop (and anything other than the damn reckless fireweaver). 16 lands is definitely the right place. I would consider dropping to 15 if I didn't have the 5-drop beef. But I do so I don't.



No comments:

Post a Comment