Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pre-release Day! 7-16-16




It's the happiest day of the year! Pre-release day! Magic players come together to collectively peer at cards upside down and ask, "What what does that do?" and excitedly proclaim, "Well that is complete and total bullshit." Good times, good times.

Rocking out at the Gamma Ray and here is what I pulled together:

Yeah that's my yoga mat. I'm a double threat!
(Deck in tapped out)
In case that's a little unclear, here's basically what my deck did:

      



That's a fair amount of removal and removal-fetching. Open the Armory suddenly a useful card? Hardly thought it possible. So my deck would durdle around, knocking off threats and then maybe land a flier or sneak through. For one game I used the Stern Constable 5 turns in a row to tap down Gisela and let my army of skulking Farbogs through, 2 points of damage at a time.


No match for the awesome power of discarding 5 lands in a row

MVP 

 

Not a huge surprise, and would probably be better with token generation instead of having to kill real creatures. But, my god, wiping out their board and leaving a 6/5 flier for them to deal with is awfully tasty. Especially if the creatures on my side are crappy little 1/2 durdlers. Also the madness cost, while steep, plays nicely.

Sidenote



The five-mana to exile the creature is an ASTOUNDINGLY relevant line of text. As per above, it means you can clear it (eventually) to prevent your opponent from getting any sacrifice value.

Overperformer



Owen (from the last batch of LR) might be right, this little guy does some serious work. Shockingly useful evasion, good art, and will also trigger your Apothecary Geist ETB. Can't ask for too much more.

Other notes:

- One Merciless Resolve is always a nice way to help Delirium get going by sacrificing a land.
- The Dusk Feaster (4/5 flier for 7... 5 with Delirium) is a real card.
- I faced a guy with the Providence (your life total becomes 26) twice. It's not a good card. I would be winning on board, he would go back to 26, and then I would beat him down again in three turns.
-

2 comments:

  1. Love the use of dice to indicate how many lands you chose. May I suggest using dotted d6 instead for readability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I just couldn't find them D:

      Delete