Saturday, December 13, 2014

Fantastic Cards from Goblins vs Gnomes - Recombobulator

Part 1 of an undeteremined length series - Recombobulator

"You might feel a little tingle"

I love this card. I love everything about this card.

The name is great. Say it out loud. "Re-com-bob-u-la-tor!"

The art is fantastic. Look at this moustache! (and those eyebrows!)

I bet Stache is so jelly
And... it is a great card to play. I think it is so much better than it looks on the surface. The stats are fine if you need to run it out early just to get a Bloodfen Raptor. But don't do that if you can afford to wait.

If you draft a lot of minions with big battlecry values (and I do), he's amazing. Use the battlecry effect. Attack the next turn, even it it is just the Villain's face, then transform your dude into something new. If you can kill an enemy minion and leave your dude clinging to one or two health, then recombobulate him, it is even better. Check out the example below.

"I am sorry"

In this game, the mage Villain got an early start with Mana Wyrm then some mechs you can see. I played two Aldor Peacekeepers to slow things down, traded one off and killed the 2/3 Wyrm with the other. This left me with a 3/1 body, which got recombobulated into Injured Blademaster, but since he doesn't injure himself with his battlecry, I get the full 4/7 stats!

For another memorable example, I was playing mage and Unstable Portal-ed into a Silver Hand Knight. I get the 4/4 and the 2/2 at a discount, then next turn trade up for the Villain's 4/3 with the Squire and a ping, then kill a 2/4 with the Knight, leaving a 4/2 body remaining. This is where the Recombobulator does his magic, taking the 5-cost Knight and turning him into any number of real sweet bodies. In this case, I get Doomguard, but without the discard two clause! And by virtue of his charge, I get to attack face for five that turn as well. Such Value! (yeah, I won that one)

I think of Recombobulator like as Earthen Ring Farseer that only works on my guys, but can sometimes have much better (and sometimes worse, to be fair) results. Pick him in the Arena. You won't regret it.

I am loving many of the random effects in the new expansion. They are super-fun and if you can manipulate them to your advantage, they can also be super-powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment