Friday, November 28, 2014

Land Collecting




I have always loved land. I don't really know why, I think it's because it is simultaneously humble yet a source of creativity. My first collection were the seasonal Mishra's Factories!

 Mishra's Factory Mishra's Factory Mishra's Factory Mishra's Factory

(note I have lost them with my blue/white deck that is somewhere in a box of my college belongings. Yes I'm still a little pissed about that)

I need a new trading goal; a reason to leaf through other people's Magic cards. So here it is: I now want to collect dual lands. My trade binder has pages nine, 3x3. One page blue/white, next page green/white etc. etc. But how to fill each page in an organized, systematic manner?




(all examples are blue/white because the Sky Deck will remain eternally perfect)

So we need 9 dual lands for each color combo. Cards will be rated on the following criteria

1) Rarity. Sure I could fill it with guild gates, but booooring
2) Overall power. If this is going to be a vanity page, and it is, they damn well better be cool lands.
3) Personal Fondness. If it's a set I played or recognize, I like those more too.
4) Do they have all combinations or only friendlies? The OCD will not allow deviance!

Let's tackle this Hollywood Squares style.

Center Square

Tundra

The center square is easy; start with the land that started it all. Needless text, truly stupendous strpied text box, grossly overpowered, and I even have them. I suppose calling the dual-land the Whoopi Goldberg is a bit insulting though.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Platinum
Fondness: Gold
All 10: Yes

Upper Left

Adarkar Wastes

Welcome to Ice Age, my first big expansion. Loved the pain lands. Suddenly all the 14 year olds go "Ohhhhh, being able to cast your spells is GOOD" Also worth noting that Ice Age only had the five friendly pairings but the enemy pairings joined the party in 9th edition... but of more personal relevance M15.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Gold
Fondess: Gold
All 10: Sure thing

Upper Middle

Hallowed Fountain


Shocklands. I came late to the party on Ravnica but it was the first shot of heroin that got me hooked back. Welcome to our first quantum leap in art. Needless to say this block has every possible combination of lands

Rarity: Gold
Power: Gold
Fondness: Silver
All 10: You betcha

Upper Right

Glacial Fortress

Not a whole lot to say here, the friendlies are in M13 and the delays are in Innistrad, neither of which I played a great deal. By the way, what are these called? Delay lands?
Rarity: Gold
Power: Silver
Fondness: Bronze
All 10: Yes

Middle Left

Mystic Gate

I vaguely recall playing one weekend of shadowmoor, but the filter lands seem alright in my book. I imagine that the math does start to get a little frustrating if you draw nothing but filter.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Silver
Fondness: Bronze
All 10: Yup

Middle Right

Flooded Strand
Did you know I once passed one of these in a Khans draft? It's true! Apparently they're good cards. Who knew? The bad news here is that the opposite fetch lands are quite pricey, $60+ right now at Card Kingdom. Oosh. Hopefully the next block of Khans will bring the opposites in. I heard a guy on the internet once say that's going to definitely happen.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Gold
Fondness: Silver
Al1 10? Not yet

Bottom Left

Temple of Enlightenment
The good news is that we're back to all ten. The bad news is that I have precisely zero of these. At least they're weaker, hence cheaper (~$9) and easier to desperately scrabble for.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Silver
Fondness: Bronze
All 10: Yup

Scrub Choices


Uh, I think I've run out of rare dual lands with two slots to go! Here are the scrubs:

Azorius Guildgate Tranquil Cove

Rarity: Bronze
Power: Bronze
Fondness: Silver
All 10: Yessir

Here's a blast from the past:
Flood Plain



Not a good card (delay your mana by two turns!) but high fondness value... but there are only the friendly combinations. Booo

Rarity: Silver
Power: Bronze
Fondness: Gold
All 10: Nope.

Hey, there's another option in Ice Age!
Land Cap
I always thought that these were so close to usable. I mean, just add 'tap for a colorless' without the depletion counter and suddenly they become at least intriguing. Not DOMINANT, but certainly usable. But sadly, there are only the friendly five. Boooo-urns.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Bronze
Fondness: Gold
All 10: Nope

Pounding Gatherer brings up the "reveal" lands
Wanderwine Hub
Nifty mechanic, never heard of them. And doesn't help fill the rival mana pairings.

Rarity: Gold
Power: Silver I guess
Fondness: Bronze
All 10: Nope



Am I missing any dual lands? The Depletions don't have all 10, the Mirage fetch lands have only five as well. What else is out there?


3 comments:

  1. 1) original ravnica "karoo lands" are commons, but hold tremendous sublte power, particularly in limted.

    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=96871

    2) i loved the future sight future-shifted soft cycle, but they were only allied pairs. only one of the cycle has been expanded to the full set, and you already mentioned them.

    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=136045
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=130595
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=126210
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=130574
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=130581

    3) Scars of Mirroden had pretty sweet "aggro lands" that were allied only. They were untapped duals if they were your first, second, or third land in play. less useful for the control deck.

    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type=+[%22Land%22]&text=+[%22%20control%20two%20or%20fewer%20other%20lands.%22]

    4) tempest kind of had a full 10-card cycle of duals; it had two terrible 5-card cycles. The allied ones didn't untap the next turn if you tapped them for colored mana, while the enemy pairs were painlands just like Adarkar Wastes, except they came into play tapped also. This was the first run of enemy painlands before they were just printed straight in Apocolypse.

    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4942
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4930

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, some good finds! I totally forgot about those Tempest lands! Nice work. I appreciate the blue/white links too :D

      Delete
    2. Caldera Lake is the first dual land I can remember owning.

      Delete