Monday, December 2, 2013

Theros Draft #4 - Deckbuilding

I managed to sneak away and get another draft in at card kingdom. The format is Theros and there were like 60 people there. For those not familiar at CK the drafts are done in pods of as close to 8 people as possible, but then the tournament is just 4 rounds of suisse amongst all attendees. Let's Go!

Pack One Pick One: A bunch of garbage and a Bident of Thassa

Bident of Thassa




Well I guess I'll start with this one. I've had it before and barely drew it, but it can be pretty sweet. The casting cost is awkward and this card won't help you dig out of a hole. As a result I want to be on the front foot and things like Vaporkin are more valuable.

The pack then shifted to mostly showing me green. I was just picking up some standard green good dudes. Leafcrown Dryad. Nessian Courser, Agent of Horizons, etc. I did get a couple of the big guys like Nessian Asp. There was also a mid pack griptide. So I felt pretty solid in green blue. It felt like white was being hit pretty hard from my right and the lack of blue made me feel worried. However no blue went past me at all so I figured I would get some blue quality in pack 2 then more green in pack 3. But I was open to pairing a new color with green if necessary.

Pack Two Pick One: This time I opened a Bow of Nylea

Bow of Nylea

This guy is great! It makes all blocks for them pretty awful and the utility is great. And then the blue started to flow as I hoped. Nimbus Nyad, Shelly, another Grip Tide and like a 6th pick Sea God's Revenge. I also picked up a few more key green pieces. Things are coming together.

Reviewing my picks after pack two there was a hole for removal, just one Time to Feed so far (and some bounce).  I felt solid on curve and actually was in a position where I would probably cut a Nessian Courser (exciting!). I was now firmly in green blue but I really need some bomb action to put this deck over the top. Right now I've got a couple good God Weapons and a really solid curve but and Arbor Colossus would really be sweet.

Pack Three Pick One: Big ole whiff. There was nothing spicy in the rest of the pack either. I just kept taking solid but not amazing green/blue cards.


Here's the list I build. There were some interesting decisions on curve. My fear is a real bomb from my opponent. I can delay it with bounce or possibly rock a Sedge Scorpion + Time to Feed card disadvantage combo.



Lands - 17 - 9 forest, 8 island
1 drop - Sedge Scorpion
2 drop - Vaporkin, 2x Leafcrown Dryad
3 drop - Nimbus Nyad (bestow 5), 2x Nessian Courser, 2x Agent of Horizons
4 drop - 2x Nylea's Emissary (bestow 6),  Thassa's Emissary (bestow 6), Nylea's Disciple
5 drop - 2x Nessian Asp, Vulpine Goliath

Removal - 2x Time to Feed, 2x Griptide, Sea God's Reveng  (bounce is a kind of removal)
Bombs - Bow of Nylea, Bident of Thassa

Late Cuts - Nessian Courser (curve), Vulpine Goliath (curve), Ordeal of Nylea (style), Annul (I couldn't pull the trigger), Fade into Antiquity (probably should main)

Other Notables: Nemesis of Mortals, Sealock Monster, 2x Staunch-Hearted Warrior


Next time I'll roll out the match reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment