Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Responding to Rosewater Making Magic #4


This week on Making Magic the topic was the Devotion mechanic. I'm a limited player so this one really isn't for me. I think where this puppy shines is in constructed (see lists from all the recent tournaments). But for limited there are a few guys that are quite fun which I'll highlight here.

Fanatic of Mogis

I love this guy. 4/2 for 4 isn't the end of the world and it tacks on at least one to the face. What I think is really cool about this guy is how cheaper ?RR spells go way up in my book. Which is awesome because my favorite mechanic is double strike.

Two-Headed Cerberus
yeah I love this guy.

Another guy that is quite popular is the green devotion common.

Nylea's Disciple

Now this the kind of card that is really interesting. From a vanilla test stand point it is a little behind where I want to be in green. But the devotion mechanic makes things stand on end. I'm now super happy about the GG. However after listening to THE BEST PODCAST IN THE HISTORY OF MAGICAL CARDS I really now understand that GG means a solid commitment to green (which in Theros turns out to be a pretty safe place to be). I love holding this guy back and just flipping a race on its head. I have had more than one opponent groan when this bad boy hit the table and I gained 5+ life. That's the beauty. This format tends to be racy and so you can build a board state with a lot of broccoli. Give it a whirl, it won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment